gas fire & boiler servicing

How often should a (i) gas fire and (ii) gas boiler be serviced?

Also one hears so much about dodgy engineers etc is there any way of finding a reputable service co. rather than just sticking a pin in the telephone directory?

Reply to
Grouchy.Oldgit

afaiu once a year is the norm .I'd think just before winter sets in would be the best time .

Reply to
Stuart B

Find out who your neighbours use and how happy or otherwise they are. Avoid yellow pages and national companies.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

service engineer training courses) for a local list of trained people. It was hopelessly obsolete.

Reply to
John

In message , snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com writes

normally annually

if you really don't know anyone, phone up your local authority and ask who they use

they might not be the best around, but at least they should be OK

Reply to
geoff

You could try ringing your local trading standards and asking them if they have a list. I've been told that our local TS is waiting til they have at least 5 in each category before they'll publish the list online though.

Reply to
Mogga

A gas fire is normally an open device which if faulty can emit poisonous fumes into the room. So an annual check makes sense.

Most boilers these days can't do this as they are room sealed. If you have an old one which isn't - like a back boiler - it will be due for updating anyway but should be checked every year too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They may do it in-house, and from my experience I wouldn't have their plumbers / gasfitters in my house to change a washer again.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not so likely

If you have a better suggestion, post it

Reply to
geoff

I can recommend a very good gasfitter but that wouldn't be much use for anyone not in the locality.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So that would be a "no" then ...

Reply to
geoff

I work for a local authority, not on the building side though.

All work is tendered for, lowest price that meets the specification wins

When I say all work it is not individual. We may tender for a framework agreement for three years, along the lines of

CORGI approved, shouldn't they all be, gas fitters / contractors to service and maintain gas appliances in council houses

We would appoint three possible suppliers

Cheapest is not always best

Reply to
Steve Walford