Gas Fire

Does anyone know what ther average lifespan of a living flame (glass fronted) gas fire should be please?

TIA

In message , L writes

Indefinite really I'd have thought, there is little to go wrong. More likely that people will get tired of the look of it etc. first.

Reply to
chris French

IME 3 years.

The oxy sensor failed and the pilot refused to stay lit after that.

The sensor was replaced under a warranty the first time, and it lasted about another 2.5 years before failing again. We haven`t bothered getting it fixed again yet, as we now have central heating - formerly it was the only source of heat for a 3 bed house.

It definitely wasn`t failing for lack of air changes, as we have 2 dogs and all doors are permanently open to allow them free access to the dog flap to the garden.

I`m not very impressed with their reliability tbh - but if all fires now need this sort of device fitted as standard, you`re damned if you do and damned if you don`t.

They can look quite effective - the father in law once threw his cigarette into ours as he thought it was a "proper" coal fire...

Reply to
Colin Wilson