Gas Farce - Transco & Powergen

The council are relaying our pavements - contractor rips up our gaspipe - boiler goes out (well it would !). Transco come along, and say they cannot just re-connect to the existing 1.25" plastic wrapped steel gas pipe into our house as their policy is to replace with polyethylene.

Team comes to slide 20mm up the pipe - hit an elbow under my shed - dig hole - connect to 20mm convoluted - get that round elbow. Inside team come along to connect pipe to meter - say flow too large gives too high a pressure drop need larger pipe.

Outside team come back - lay 25mm pipe up to hole - I move shed - they continue in 25mm to meter. Inside team come along to connect pipe to meter - say flow too large gives too high a pressure drop need larger pipe.

Outside team come back - lay 32mm pipe. Inside team come along to connect pipe to meter - say flow too large gives too high a pressure drop need larger METER !!!!!

OK it's a big detached house - 7 bedrooms - the current meter is a U6 (ie 6 cu.m./hr) which is largest 'domestic' and Transco say we need a 'U16'.

Transco say I have to ring Powergen (my gas supplier) to ask Transco to upsize the meter. This I do - they take the call and tell me someone will be along today. Having hung arround all day I ring them back - "oh no you shouldn't have been told that - you need to ring another number " This I do - they say "Oh you have to fill in forms and pay £300" At this point I hit the roof and start to consider moving my three commercial gas contracts and my domestic away from Powergen (I'm paying £12,000 a year to Powergen for gas alone across four contracts).

Powergen are 'considering what they can do . . ' and I've put out feelers with other gas suppliers !!!! Meanwhile Transco tell me I can only run my gas boiler and not any of the gas fires or hob for cooking.

Don't you love privatisation !!!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

A 212 cu/fot hr U6 can overload to around 350 cu foot/hr. What size is the boiler, cooker, gas fires, etc?

The U6 was fine before they played around with the mains pipe?

Scum the lot of them I would burn'em.

Reply to
IMM

Sue the council for the money and compensation, after all, their contractor is the one wot dun it!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I hope you have a suitable claim lodged against the contractor who ripped through your gaspipe.

"Indemnity" is the word here - ie restore you to the position that you were in before the damage occurred.... (you have every right to claim for your time and cost of temporary measures as well, but you do have a duty to keep such losses to a minimum too).

Reply to
RichardS

This is a great story to go with the saga of when meter tails drop out of the electric meters....

Actually one of the real under lying problems occured a while back when someone installed the boiler/hob/fire which over-committed the U6 meter. (just what sort of gas consumption are you looking at in total?). The U16 is the next size up - these are found in larger houses from time to time, but by no means common.

In theory fitters who work on them should have commercial certification.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I can see you getting a nice long stay in a hotel out of this one ;-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Where? What? How much over committed? A U6 can easily run over.

Reply to
IMM

IMM wrote:

Reply to
Steve Firth

1 line comment in 83 quoted lines.

Can you please snip the bits of the message that aren't relevant. It will make your posts so much easier to read.

Thanks.

Reply to
Fishter

This shit kicker is at it again.

Reply to
IMM

My posts are always brilliant to read.

Reply to
IMM

Boiler is 57KW Fires and hob total 28

so overall load is 85 Kw

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

194,484 BTU/hr. Consuming approx 194 cu ft/hr

290,020 BTU/hr Consuming approx 290 cu ft/hr, with the 212 of a U6

When I was designing mains gas systems we went up to 320 cu ft/hr for a U6 mwter. A U6 is supposed to have a 100% overload, so will cope with 424 cu ft/hr.

The rip-off privateers probably go up to 212 cu ft/hr max, which the meter is rated on the dial.

Do you have all the gas fires on at the same time? Are they for effect? For use in Spring and Autumn on cool evenings? If so, disconnect them and have them install a U6. Then re-connect them up again. The likelihood of all appliances on at the same time may next to zero.

In electricity, you can plug a 3kW fires in each socket. The trips will come in as soon as the load is reached. They design the system with the probability that you will have all sockets at maximum load is nil, so they use common sense. This may be the case with you, but Transco don't use common sense, they assume all your appliances and the boiler will be full on.

Reply to
IMM

IMM wrote:

Reply to
Steve Firth

This dumb shit kicker is still at it. Sad but true.

Reply to
IMM

IMM wrote:

Reply to
Steve Firth

Our resident shit kicker is still at it. Fascinating, absolutely fascinating.

Reply to
IMM

I made no comment on their brightness, but it would still make it easier if you made use of the delete button on the bits that aren't relevant.

Reply to
Fishter

IMM wrote:

Reply to
Steve Firth

This shit kicker is getting worse. The white coats will have to come for him soon. He is probably on a keyboard from inside anyway. They should take them from this sort. Sad isn't it.

Reply to
IMM