Gas explosions. (For the brain dead)

I'm sure there was a story - years ago - where a car was stopped at traffic lights, over a gas leak. It stalled, went to start, and the bonnet blew off.

Fanciful, but weirder has happened.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

There was an episode of "Cracker" years ago, which ended when a nutter barricaded himself into his (parents) house, and opened all the gas taps. The police were faffing about, and ignoring the chief fireman at the scene who had taken the trouble to ask the parents when the CH cut in. They said 6pm, and it was 5:58. Fire chief had to be very rude to tell the police that they'd run out of time (and yes, the house did blow up).

It was shown as a slight spark across the bi-metal thermostat ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Propane is heavier than air and can roll along invisibly for many metres. That's why caravans and motorhomes have ventilation holes at the lowest points and why if it is necessary to empty a cylinder it should be done in short burst in an open field on a windy day.

Reply to
bert

A few years ago there was a tragic case of a gas leak on a boat in a lock.

Reply to
bert

Something similar happened near home when I was child. Road was being resurfaced, and there was one of the large scraper machines taking off the old road surface. On the face of it, it seemed like it scraped through the gas pipe under the road - a large flame was jetting through and out the top of the machine, and all the workman had retired to a safe distance. I rather doubt it actually reached the gas pipe, but possibly fractured it and exposed a fissure to allow a massive gas leak.

My road was resurfaced more recently, and when it had a nice new clean surface, the water main burst in two places, which is apparently quite common after the large scraper machine has gone over it. We also lost our electricity when it scraped through a streetlamp cable which was only a few inches below the surface.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

An Engineering company that I worked at had 15 tons of liquified natural gas, with a "boiling" unit and an odouriser (the gas supply to the site was too small for testing large gas engine or turbine driven units). They once had half the local housing estate evacuated when a major gas leak was suspected, but it turned out to be just the concentrated chemicals for the odour leaking!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

En el artículo , John Rumm escribió: