Gas & Electric & moving house

We are moving house in 2 weeks time. What i would be intrested to know is this. At our current house we have never changed suppliers, so are still British gas & Southern electric. The owners of the house we are moving to are Powergen for both. My question is, When we move in, (completion day) is/does our supplier have to be Powergen? or do we have to take British gas & Southern electric with us?

Regards, Will

Reply to
Willi

You can stay with Powergen as the house is now or change to any other provider you wish.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Check wether powergen is cheaper at the new place because it usually is? You can request british gas transfer your details to new address but takes about 3 to 4 weeks change over.

I'd stay with powergen for a month or so and see what your bills come to then change over to the other suppliers if you think they're too high?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Apply your bills on this calculator using your last bill as a starter but change the supplier to powergen and the relevent details it ask to see what difference there is at the other place.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Completely your choice. Wander off to a few of the comparison web sites(*) and see what the suppliers have to offer for the area of the new house. Rates vary from supplier to supplier, area to area, so the cheapest in one place might not be the cheapest in another.

Ideally you'll have your consumption for the last year available from your bills. But you'll have to make the, possibly very poor, assumption that your consumption will be the same in the new place. If they are a similar size, similar construction, similar insulation levels and heated from the same energy source the consumption might not be too far off. But large changes to any or all of them will have a significant effect, either up or down... The sellers might be willing to let you have copies of their last utility bills as a guide, remember the last quarter might be a summer (low consumption) one.

(*) There are many comparison sites out there but only two or prehaps three databases behind the web presentations. If one site looks very much like another and the data is the same your just seeing a different view of the same data. The differences between databases are fairly obvious once you are aware and look.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As you like it.

What I do suggest is asking the outgoing occupants for the Meter Point Numbers for the gas and electric, as if you know these it will make signing up for new suppliers easier.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

All of these answers are probably irrelevant. If the OP wants to know what will happen if he doesn't do anything, I guess he moves to what the old owners used, by default.

john2

Reply to
john2

Talk about irrelvent !

"My question is....

When we move in, (completion day) is/does our supplier have to be Powergen? or do we have to take British gas & Southern electric with us?"

and that is exactly what everyone has addressed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks to all who replyed. "All" replys were very very helpfull. Best regards, Will

Reply to
Willi

In article , Andy Cap writes

From some very adverse recent experiences, Powergen rank as the most stupid bunch of incompetents around!.

Avoid!!!!!!.......

Reply to
tony sayer

I can say the same as BG,these barstewards are in toe with BT as they keep you waiting on the phone and then have the cheek to say its a busy day for us...damn its like that every time you phone up,even the moment you make the connection they tell you to press this and then press another button then you get lingo of what to do and what their services entail.

No need for all that crap just answer the bloody phone.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

But usually the cheapest in respect to BG & Npower.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It's an absolute minefield.

I've been with several suppliers, eventually going to Powergen. Then at the biginning of the year Npower appeared to be cheaper and so I hopped over to them. Now one substantial rise later and another promised for October, it looks as if Southern Electricity will then be cheaper, at least until the end of the year, when they will probably follow suit but I will change to them as soon as I receive the Npower letter.

Since the introduction of the competitive market place, fair comparisons have deliberately been made almost impossible. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if they deliberately phase their changes to confuse the consumer. I wonder if there would be any mileage in them aligning their price lists for each year say.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Fine then if you don't mind spending the time having to tell the stupid c***s the same thing over and over again because it doesn't sink into their thick moronic skulls!.....

Reply to
tony sayer