Gas cooker ring doesn't light using the inbuild piezo

One of the rings on my elderly mother's gas cooker doesn't light, using the inbuild piezo lighter, except if you blow gently towards the ring after turning the gas on. Can anyone advise what the problem is and how to cure it? I guess the cooker is about 25 years old or so.

Thanks,

Hank

Reply to
Hank

You checked to see if the holes in the burner aren't blocked with grease etc ...particularly the ones nearest to the igniter as blowing the gas towards the spark would suggest that's what the problem is .

Reply to
Stuart B

Thank you! Will check it this weekend.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Sometimes the electrode burns down, so it still sparks but the spark just isnt high up enough to ignite the gas. The blowing might fit with that.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Same thing happens with my Britannia cooker, bought at vast expense from Peter Jones a couple of years ago - While cleaning the surface, I rather overdid the water, and now the piezo lighters have all been "rearranged".

It's as if there's a German Enigma machine wired up in there, because all the piezos work fine but pressing the button for one ring fires the piezo for another and we have to remember which is which!

Cheers

John R Ramsden

Reply to
OwlHoot

Check for a build-up of carbon on the ceramic post the spark wire goes though. I have found that this can reduce the oomph of the spark or short it out altogether.

Chris

Reply to
chris_doran

You have a button for each burner ..That's posh ..:-)

Reply to
Stuart B