Gas cooker ignitor

The ignitor on my Cannon Camberley gas cooker keeps firing even after the oven has lit. Normally, as soon as the pilot burner lights, the ignitor stops. Two questions:

1, Any ideas? 2, If not, does anyone know what causes the ignitor to stop firing when it's working properly? It can't be the thermocouple because the spark usually stops as soon as the pilot lights - the thermocouple only controls the main burner.

Replies ASAP please -we're getting hungry!

Reply to
Alan

Try cleaning the tip of the probe that detects the flame fro from the main burner in the oven. It's just a little piece of tube looking thing that sits to one side of the burner, and when the flame is burning properly, this probe tells the ignitor to stop doing its thing. If the probe is dirty or greasy, then it might not be sending the correct signal back to the ignition unit. If the probe is on its last legs and will need replacing soon, then can cause the same fault

Just check the flame sensor is sitting properly in the flame and glowing red when the oven is lit.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks, I'll try that.....might be worth pointing out though that it does the same thing on BOTH ovens - top & bottom...seems a bit of a coincidence. I'll let you know.

Reply to
Alan

coincidence.

Then it could be the ignition unit itself that's dirty or sticky, and the contacts inside are taking longer to heat up before they come apart properly.

If you can get to the wiring from the unit, then check that none of the insulation is broken or tightly trapped somewhere, and causing the spark unit to short across to the oven casing.

Reply to
BigWallop

Cant remember the exact model but its almost certainly a fmale rectification or flame conduction circuit. Ensure that the flame envelopes the tip of the elctrode,if not,check for partially blocked flame ports. Clean the electrode,check for loose connections.. joe

Reply to
tarquinlinbin

Direct your attention to the spark electrodes in both ovens.

Make sure the HV wire actually still connects to the electrode, in an oven of mine it oxidised and dropped off but still sparked against the oven floor where it couldn't sense the pilot flame. it did still light the pilot flame eventually when enough gas had reached it but then kept on sparking. It killed the spark generator eventually because of excessively long spark gap sparked at a higher voltage.

DG

Reply to
derek