gas cooker

Hi the electronics in my present gas cooker are on the blink so I cannot get the oven or grill to work. To replace the electronics would cost £150 approx plus fitting so I can either buy a new gas cooker that does not rely on electricity, if one exists, or try to jam the valve that lets the gas through when there is electricity.

My wife thinks this will be a good time to buy a new gas cooker so can you buy a gas cooker that does not need electricity, as the only time we use the electronics is to time an egg? Who needs a £150 clock on a cooker?

Also do they come supplied with the hose that just plugs into the gas pipe or are they not considered safe anymore. Thanks Ron

Reply to
Rocket Ron

Er, you are joking, right?

What about igniting the rings, oven and grill? Do you prefer matches or spark ignition? :-)

No: it is considered essential that cookers be fitted by people who don't even _think_ of jamming the valve that lets the gas through. ;-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

l do not know what you talked about but I want to make friend with you

Reply to
bluefox700

OK well we need all the friends we can get on here.

tarquinlinbin

Yes Ron, you can get them (some may need electric supply but only for the ignition, others use a 9v battery for this) - Argos sell 'em cheap (and some may say nasty), otherwise a local independent gas showroom I guess. Lighting the hob with a taper is ok, but you don't really want to be on your hands and knees trying to light an oven in this way - get one with piezo ignition.

Angus

PS: if you do jam the gas valve open, please have the courtesy to warn your family and neighbours to evacuate the local vicinity before you do so.

Reply to
Fentoozler

I never knew that you could get a device to light a gas cooker, I always thought that you turned the oven on, waited five minutes, opened the door and chucked a lit match in. And yes you can jam the valve open, with of all things a matchstick, spent of course.:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Ron

Reply to
Rocket Ron

Yes, you can get gas cookers that require no electrical connection. I just sold mine on adtrader.

Normally the hose doesn't come with it, although there may be a servicable hose on the previous cooker. The hose should be attached and tested for leaks by a competent person, which in your case means a registered CORGI fitter.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle