Gas Combi-Advice please

Page 1 of 2
Hi all I currently have a BBU behind a Radiant Gas fire in the front living room in my terraced house. I am planning on having a Combi installed, in order to do away with the BBU, and have an Inset gas flame effect fire fitted instead of the existing Radiant. My query is; where in the house is the best place to have the Combi installed? The only Domestic gas supply is into the front lounge which faces the street, with the gas meter in the corner nearest the window, and the aforementioned Radiant fire nearby. Would it be ok to pipe straight up from the lounge, into the bedroom above, and fit the combi there, in say, a cupboard built for this purpose? I know I would then need a flue -probably Room sealed/natural draught one. Also, would I be able to pipe directly from the meter, or would it need another route? I don`t want to be going unnecessarily over the house, routing gas pipes across it, so the direct upwards route seems the be the easiest option.
many thanks
Carolyn

That's fine as far as pipe routing goes. If you have a boarded loft, then consider putting it up there. Boilers in bedrooms are noisy and distracting.

Most boilers now use fanned flues. These are quite compact and can travel vertically and horizontally for some distance. However, you don't want a flue terminal coming out of the front wall of a house. In a front bedroom, you'd probably want to go up and then backwards slightly and out of the roof on the rear elevation. This would require many flue extensions etc, so it might be better to choose a boiler with the capability of using standard drainpipe as flue parts. Several manufacturers now offer this ability.

Consider running a large gas pipe to your kitchen and installing there. If you do your calculations right, you'll be able to run a gas cooker off it. Gas cooking and a having the boiler in the kitchen rather than a bedroom is likely to substantially increase the value of your home. Many people will refuse to buy a house with electric cooking, or noisy (and perceived as dangerous) bedroom boilers.
Christian.

distracting.
roof
Don't do that. have a dedicated pipe only for the boiler.

is
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:53:51 +0000, IMM wrote:

t.
This is neither necessary nor would it be normal practice. [Only today I connected a 28kW combi to a shortish run of 22mm and the cooker was T-ed from near the boiler.]
If the boiler or cooker make such demands for gas that they effect each other then the gas supply pipe is too small.
About the only time you would run two mains back to a meter is a) For two exceptional large loads probably exceeding 20kW each. E.g. two boilers. b) The appliances were in completely different locations.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
writes

What are you fantasising about now, the cha cha cha?
--
geoff

Maxie, you are intensely jealous of my superb tango dancing, tat is clear.
writes

Believe me, I'm not
But yes, your tat is clear
--
geoff

my
clear.
Now no porkie telling.

It is Maxie. It is.

Laying on his arm until it goes to sleep and then pretending it's somebody else.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

What do you deduct it from? The bill?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
wrote:> >No its having more experience than you at it. You ALWAYS have a deducted

LOL, such fun. Boiled Beef and Carrots, Boiled Beef and Carrots.....

IMM are married?. If not why not. Are you a tree hugger? Are you a bender? Do you wear sandles or flip flops? Does IMM mean:International Man of Mirth?
ATB Kris

deducted
I know your sort. Can't dance and never get the girls. Acne too.

Also,
e) He has been doing professional gas fitting in a different jurisdiction.
f) He was doing professional gas fitting before the requirement to belong to CORGI existed and ceased to do professional gas fitting when (or before) the requirement was brought in.
Christian.

the
warmer.

Are you suggesting there are grandfather rights?
Christian.
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:24:55 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

The law doesn't support that notion.
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/98245102.htm#3
paragraph 3.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:37:28 -0000, "Christian McArdle"

Fair point, although in terms of a different jurisdiction, different standards may apply.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

No I'm not. In the UK, the position is quite clear, unless as Christian has suggested, you used to gas fit before CORGI membership was a requirement.
Have you read the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, section 3?
It is completely clear that for professional gas fitting you have to be a member of a "class of persons defined by the HSE". The only game in town for that is CORGI.
If you believe differently, please present your verifiable evidence.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

in
do
of
the
Carolyn,
You can have the boiler fitted in the loft as long as there is a loft ladder, boarded, a rail around the hatch and a light up there. Being terraced, it will most likely have to be flued through a roof tile, unless you have a gable wall, then through the back. Good combis have integral frost controls.
Otherwise try running gas pipe to the kitchen, if there is apace there for a combi.