Gas Central heating

My daughter has small 3 bed semi and must replace hot air heating with radiators ,probably 8 .She seems to think a combi boiler is right, there are six in the house , 4 of them children. Myself I would prefer a tank and airing cupboard What type and make of boiler is recommended and how much should this cost ,bearing in mind the old hot air boiler is to be removed How long should this take ?? Is there an up to date web site that deals with this type of thing Any good honest installers in the Taunton Somerset you would recommend E

Reply to
Leveled

Why must she? The forced air unit can be replaced and new grills and registers installed. The new units are an age away from the old units, with modulating burners and fans and electrostatic air filters.. And no rads on walls. John & Starley in Northampton make direct replacement units.

How many bathrooms, showers, etc.

Bad old hat idea. If you want an airing cupboard a small rad can be installed and still does take up space or look like a school boiler room.

A combi? The Alpha CD50 which zips along. Let's see what your water needs are first though.

Just ask me.

I would replace the forced air unit to a modern type, replace registers and and fit a Rinnai multi-point water heater, that fills baths in no time at all. Rinai even have a unit that can be fitted outside. It can also go in the loft.

I am no jolly amateur. I have seen some awful advice here from amateurs, and people have gone away and done what they said. Frightening.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Then what exactly are you? You certainly not a pro either.

Reply to
Alan

He's a sad amateur?

Reply to
PC Paul

The advice you give certainly is. Remind us of which planet you're from?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Leveled

Frightening.

If the forced air unit takes up space, then it can it be re-located? The ducting is still there and it may not be such a big job. You will have to move the plenum chamber.

Having two gas units do CH and DHW does not mean it will be more expensive to run. You also do not have all your eggs in one basket and will have either hot water or CH if one of them is down.

I have seen some homes have the forced air unit in the loft. The ducting is very easy to do in the loft (DIY) and the grills in the ceiling. It also did the hallway and landing too. A duct from the loft was taken unobtrusively down the stairwell and had a grill in the ground floor hallway. The ground floor was heated by a combi with skirting heaters. The house had the bedrooms on the ground floor in this case, which they very rarely heated by the skirting heaters as the bedroom doors left slightly open were heated enough via the hallway.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

> At near enough 800 quid for water only?

But pours out the hot water for ever and no cylinder taking up space. Excellent quality, made In Japan.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Amazing. This one a few weeks back ask how to fix his pilot light, and now knows it all. Amazing. Only on the Internet.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Another one. Is there a full moon today?

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Err, so it doesn't take up space? It's 600mm high, 350mm wide, and 224mm deep. Add to that the gas pipe and flue.

You really think replacing a hot air unit and adding a very expensive multi point an economical way round this problem?

Once again, what planet are you from?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you don't even know that?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Look at the size of a cylinder and all those valves hanging off it. And the Rinnai can go "outside". Do you know what that means? Nah, you do not.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Doctor Evil, I have to admire you for taking all the abuse in your stride and rising above it, while the predictably prosed juveniles regress back to their playground bullying tactics.

Reply to
RedOnRed

It just gets better. You'd fit a multi point outside? Of course you would. 'Cause your a pratt.

I do wish you'd come to earth and realise the cost implications of the rubbish you quote off websites.

So you're not going to post again?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An airing cupboard outside? 38p? That much?

So you are boasting you have a large house while most have rabbit hutches. Or more likely saying eff you I'm alright.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No ever bullied me at school, otherwise they got a smack in the nose.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

There is quite a discussion of the pros and cons in the main FAQ. As I have said before there is no one-size-fits all. There are strengths and weaknesses and personal preferences.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Same here actually.

Reply to