Gas Boiler cutting out

The pilot light on my Ideal E Type boiler lights readily and all appears well when the boiler fires up but after 1-2 hours of running it shuts down and the pilot light is also out.

A search on google suggests the boiler may be overheating due to the pump losing efficiency although it still appears to be running.

Any thoughts as to whether this is the most probable cause and how to fix ( a pump change would be ok) would be appreciated.

Reply to
hdsc00919

Does your boiler have a permanent pilot light, or one which is lit by the electronics each time the boiler fires up?

When it cuts out, how do you get it going again? Is there something which has to be reset manually?

How is your system controlled? Are there any motorised valves - and if so, how many and what type (2-port or 3-port)? Do any or all of the radiators have TRVs? Is there a by-pass circuit?

Has it ever worked ok without doing this? If so, how long ago?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks for relpying. My responses follow on from each of your questions.

This is an older boiler lit with a match -pilot is permanent when working.

Manual reset, wait 3 mins, depess & light whilst holding down for 20 secs.

No sign of motorised valves. Nearly all radiators have TVRs. Not sure on the last point.

Yes for a v.long time until 3 days ago.

Reply to
hdsc00919

My guess would be that the pilot flame is not playing sufficiently on the thermocouple, and eventually it decides the pilot has gone out and cuts the supply off.

There could be a number of reasons. Some which spring to mind... Dirt in pilot causing wrong size/shape flame. Thermocouple worn out. Flue blocked forcing flames to burn lower than normal. * Oxygen depletion sensor triggering (if fitted) due to blocked flue or inadequate fresh air supply. * Gas supply pressure drops too much when main burner fires up.

  • These conditions would be a serious risk to life if present.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I strongly suspect that there is some sort of over heat cut out which is in series with the thermocouple circuit.

It might or might not actually be over heating.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

The e type is about as basic as they come. Many don't even have an overheat stat in the thermocouple connection. If yours has then poor circulation might be the cause or a failing boiler stat. If it hasn't then most likely is a failing thermocouple/bad tehermocouple connection/poor pilot flame needing a pilot burner/injector clean and flame adjustment. Try the simple/cheap ones first

Reply to
John