Gas bills -Units or KWh ?

I have recently purchased a flat which has gas central heating and Hydro Electric are responsible for the bills for gas and electricity. I notice that the gas bills convert the units of gas used into KWh. Does Scottish gas do this as well or is this only done by an electricity supplier? Blair Malcolm

Reply to
Blair

AFAIK all suppliers do this: the main reason being that you pay for gas not by volume (ie units) but by the amount of energy it actually gives you (kWh). There is not an exact conversion between the two; it does vary a bit over time - you should see a figure on the bill for 'calorific content' or similar; if you look at old bills over a few years you'll see (small) differences in this number.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Blair writes

They all do it - I think they have to.

The energy value of a 'unit' of gas - which is a volume measure varies slighty, hence the conversion.

Reply to
chris French