Garden Wall

Looking at a a house with view to purchase. It has a high wall around the carden. seems in good order - just a few spalled bricks on the top - but I have seen some in same road a lor worse, Built of normal facing bricks - top row has a tile under. I was wondering if there is any substance I could paint on the top to reduce moisture penetration and frost damage.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Some sort of brick sealant? The sort sold in the sheds and builders merchants?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Anything painted on will soon let more water in than out. Tile, slate, etc are more effective.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA4968D89A9617TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.236:

Just looked again - the side wall does not have the tiles under the top course.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

How is the top of the wall formed? Does it have capping with a drip strip to shed water away from the wall faces?

Applying coatings can make things worse, by trapping moisture inside the wall. Wall must still be able to breath.

Any idea how old the wall is? If it's relatively new and spalling, that might also point to it having been built with bricks which are too absorbent. Garden walls where both sides are exposed need lower absorbency bricks that house walls, where only one side is exposed (and the other side used to get some heating, before super-insulated homes).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.me.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:mioad0$7r4$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Update. Plain wall- no tiles so no drip strip - built 1988.

Reply to
DerbyBorn