Garden vacs?

We are considering buying a garden vac, such as

this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reply to
Jane

I use tarpaulins, which can be dragged along a pavement ok, then bundled up and stuffed in the back of a car (which already has another tarp laid flat inside it, so pavement grot doesn't end up on the upholstery) to take the whole lot straight to the tip.

You need to be a little careful not to collect so much on a single tarp that you can't then (a) get it into the car, or (b) manage it ok at the tip if it's a windy day. But then, the whole job's a nightmare on a windy day.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

> Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any

I have 30 square metres of decking that needs to be cleared of leaves periodically. Because the decking is stepped, clearing it with a broom would be very slow.

I bought the cheapest unbranded garden vacuum from B&Q. It's fine for occassional use. The big suction tube tends to rotate and cause the motor to switch off, but apart from that it's OK. If you've only got a small area of garden, then a cheapie might be sufficient.

Reply to
RustyCrampon

> Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any

If you have mains, you can get big (50 mm) hoses for the excellent and cheap Wickes / Early wet and dry workshop-type vac. This will do fallen leaves; it wouldn't manage with my hedge trimmings but only because I leave it until there is six inches to take off.

Reply to
newshound

>>> Would this be suitable to pick up privet cuttings as well, any

I cannot comment on the OP's Bosch vac, but I can offer some thoughts on clearing hedge and shrub clippings etc.

I have a good electric Stihl blower/vac/shredder which I use mainly in blower mode for clearing paved areas and shrub beds. For clearing clippings (usually 6" plus) from our mixed hedgerows I use the wheeled rotary mower which picks up by far the majority and chops it reasonably small in very little time.

I used the garage/workshop vac last week to pick up a carpet of pelargonium petals from the paved area outside the front doors because I too lazy to get the Stihl out and it was quick and simple.

-- rbel

Reply to
rbel