Garden Shredders - one line recommendations please.

As subject, A simple make/model - excellent or always jamming etc. would be good.

Our local CostCo have a bosch 2200W one for £211

TIA Pete

Reply to
unknown

I have the older 2kW Bosch "quiet" shredder, which is not bad if you feed it stuff it likes. Woody branches it swallows with ease, but it is not as keen on the lush green stuff. The solution is to leave the stuff cut for a couple of days to dry out a bit first.

The later design uses a pair of meshed cogs to do the shredding in place of the worm screw on my one. These may be more resistant to clogging on the green stuff.

The fact that they are self feeding makes them massively easier to use that the noisy impact type.

Reply to
John Rumm

The best bit of advice I ever read on uk.d-i-y was to get a Bosch quiet shredder.

Reply to
LSR

I guess that'd be the one I have seen then. It does have the cogs and has a max. branch thickness of 35mm whereas the next one up has a 40mm capacity but they don't have that one.

Just gotta check the price and get me one then.

Our old and very wild weeping willow was taken right back to 3 main branches so I have 3 large piles of small leafy stick to get rid of.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown

Looking on-line the average price seems to be around £250 so at £211 it's a pretty good price too.

I'll be picking one up on the way home.

Thanks both for recommendation.

Reply to
unknown

They have both spiral cutting and drum cutting shredders in the 'Quiet ' range, the 2200W is the drum cutting one, the 2000W the spiral cutter.

Reply to
chris French

My mates hire business has given up on shredders in general as being too much agro.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Surely thast's more to do with people chucking any old logs in as it's not their machine to worry about if it breaks.

Reply to
gymratz

Agro in what sense? too many getting broken etc?

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. That's about it. They have tried many makes & they all seem to break down/get broken far too often. Repair costs exceeded hire revenue.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That would be like when I lent my one to a mate and he accidentally tried shredding a lump of angle iron then ;-)

(still he did buy me a nice new helix for it, even though the five conifers I had stuck through it previously had already taken the edge off it a bit!)

Reply to
John Rumm