Garden sheds: wood vs metal vs plastic

I need to replace a small (5' x 7') wooden garden shed and I'd like a low- or no-maintenance solution.

How do metal and plastic sheds compare with traditional wooden construction ones? Specific pros and cons?

Any recommendations/caveats for particular suppliers or manufacturers of sheds?

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Metal ones are ok but suffer from condensation inside.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

What metal are they made from?

How do you go about fitting (say) shelves or a tool rack?

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Quite a thin gauge galvanized steel but ours has been standing for a few years now with no sign of rusting. Yardmaster I think it is... ...yup. This kind of thing:

Standalone plastic shelving from Argos/B&Q. Solid and chunky.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

"Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Looks good. Rust was (obviously) my main worry re metal construction.

Plastic: flimsy? UV damage over time?

Wood: based on current experience a PITA because of the maintenance, particularly the roof, which would shed(!) its felt in a puff of wind.

Reply to
Frazer Jolly Goodfellow

Yardmasters have a ten year guarantee so I assume they're fairly confident they won't rust. Easy to build too as they arrive as a load of small panels. The only tricky bit is lifting the roof on but my daughter and I managed that bit.

I've only seen small plastic ones and didn't even consider them a serious contender.

My wooden one's roof is indeed a PITA as I can't get to the back of it because of its location (my fault). I wouldn't have another wooden one.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Have you considered red cedar? Its a durable wood, unlike the usual softwood sheds. I say that as wood has asstd advantages over plastic & metal.

Plastics are high price materials, its the savings of injection moulding over tooling that make it cheaper. IOW almost any product using lots of plastic is going to skimp like hell to prevent costs going through the roof.

If you want one that needs no maintenance ever, concrete is the answer.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

the flat roof of the concrete sheds which came with my property cracked and started leaking. I sealed it a few years ago but whatever I used has degraded and is peeling in places.

Concrete is hideous too.

Reply to
no$spam!delete&abuse%dave

Thats flat roofs for you.

Tis true. Corrugated metal isnt too glamorous either, specially once it starts rusting. If you want beauty and permanence, there's brick or rendered block.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Or stone, in various guises.