Garden shed - How big????

Hi,

I have a piece of concrete 10ft x 16ft with 2 wooden sheds on. They are a little worse for wear at the moment....

I want to replace it with a single garden building. I have seen a yardmaster metal garage shed which is 16ft x 9ft. Could I use that? Do I need any special permission? It would be used for garden storage only and there is no access for cars so defo cannot be deemed to be a garage.....

Any advice?

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Probably. The floor area of your shed is (I think) under 15m2, so you could use wood, too, even close to a boundary.

That depends. Is it in the back garden? How tall is it? How close to a boundary? How close to a road/public footpath? How close to the house? How big is your garden? Is the house listed? Do you live in a conservation area? Do you live in a national park?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Erm, I replaced an old timber / tin roof 'garage' with a steel framed, cement fibre sides, fiberglass roof and some years later a pre-fab concrete panel with cement fibre roof.

From memory I contacted the 'Planning' and 'Building' on both occations and from the planning point of view as long as it's below certian heights (I think pitched roof was 3m) and below a percentage volume of yer house FWII you could do it under 'permitted developement' (basically you don't need planning).

'Building' were interested to know if any of the ''structural components' were flammable (mine weren't) so apart from roof drainage that was pretty well it?

Best speak to the council, the rules seem so variable re time and those people! ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi,

It is in back garden it is just under 3m high about 10m from a public footpath will be about 5m from one corner of house to side far away from road (200m) Is within 2 foot of my side fence garden is 100ft across back by 60ft up sides houes is not listed no conservation area no national park

Help?

Reply to
Pedro Popadopolous

Should be OK (JUST) under permitted development from what you say. Make sure it is definately 5m from the nearest point of the dwelling and make sure you don't live in the shed. Planners do not have to be consulted although for a fee, most will give you a letter confirming the lack of planning need. This may help you with any neighbour problems,otherwise not worth bothering.

From BR point of view,

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You also need to check that permitted development rights apply. The more modern the house the more likely that no permitted development is allowed. You should also check with the council that there isn't an "Article 4 Direction" in force.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I have a 28' x 13' "Shed" in my back garden which is counted as a temporary structure as made of wood!

That suits me just fine - Planning people at the time of build seemed perfectly happy to refer to it as a "shed" because it's wood.

I bought it from

Alan