Garden Office Planning Permission

I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within

20m of the highway.

The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house. The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.

Am I right?

Reply to
Griffo

What's a "garden office"?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

An office in the garden - i.e. a small, normally detached building usually used as a home office.

Reply to
Andy Hall

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com declared for all the world to hear...

It's an office, right? Which is in your garden, right? Hence the name "office garden".

Reply to
Jon

I am hoping to build a garden office. The only problem is that planning permission is required where the office "would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the original house (unless there is 20m between the building and the highway)" ie where the office is positioned between the house and the highway and the office is within

20m of the highway.

The problem is that there is a footpath that runs behind the house. The footpath is less than 20m from the proposed site for the office and so it seems to me that I would need planning permission.

Am I right?

Reply to
Griffo

Thanks, that clears it up!

Reply to
Griffo

Are you in a hurry? If not wait for the new "easy" planning permission laws.

Reply to
Broadback

IANAL but I don't think a "footpath" counts as a "highway".

Owain

Reply to
Owain

They are likely to affect extensions, but I would be less sure about detached buildings. In this context is a public footpath a highway?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Or even 'garden office'

Surely an office garden is a garden in, or used for, an office.

Whereas a garden office is an office used in, or by, a garden..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A site office is where you plan the work and take tea breaks. So a garden office must be where you plan the garden and take tea breaks.

I'm just about to build one for my daughter to use... I am thinking about gluing polystyrene sheet between two sheets of WBP to make the walls and floor (DIY SIPS). Anyone done similar? Which glue is best?

Reply to
dennis

PVA works, but water based contact is better.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's sound like it's at the back of the house, the average footpath user probably doesn't have a clue what it is (it's a gerden shed to them) or what the planning rules are, just build it.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

|!> Whereas a garden office is an office used in, or by, a garden.. |! |!A site office is where you plan the work and take tea breaks. |!So a garden office must be where you plan the garden and take tea breaks.

That is a Potting Shed which in my area does not need Planning Permission.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On 23 May 2007 07:45:43 -0700 someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote this:-

Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Reply to
David Hansen

|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using |!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax.

Which is totally false. Keep Up at the back there.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:46:11 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop wrote this:-

Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

Reply to
David Hansen

Already happens in some countries - there is even software available that will do the looking for you.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Thu, 24 May 2007 06:12:04 +0100 someone who may be John Rumm wrote this:-

Indeed and ISTR that John Prescott's lot were discussing things with the sellers of such software.

Reply to
David Hansen

|!On Wed, 23 May 2007 16:46:11 +0100 someone who may be Dave Fawthrop |! wrote this:- |! |!>|!Indeed. Build it now before John Prescott's lot start using |!>|!satellites to spot new bits and so increase the poll tax. |!>

|!>Which is totally false.

Keep Up at the back there.

|!Time will tell whether it is totally false or not.

John Prescott no longer has ministerial responsibilities. Poll Tax is long gone and had nothing to do with buildings.

***Keep up at the back there****
Reply to
Dave Fawthrop