Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

It wasn't me it was a neighbour. He was (and in part still is) running a kitchen fitting business from his home. The council got wind of the fact he was basically using one room for an office and his garage for a workshop and found this out because they were a bit upset that large lorries kept delivery goods in a residential area (that was how they started anyway i.e. the trigger on the radar). I guess someone complained.
Anyway in the end they made him move out of his garage BUT he managed to keep his "home office" because it also had a domestic use (well thats what he argued). It did take him a bit of stress and a while to convince them though, they were mumbling about business rates and that our development is a residential development, hence no designed for "business" traffic (whatever the fupp that means).
The irony is he still has stuff delivered to home in big lorries (less often admittedly), but then moves it from his garage (store) to his (at the moment) free rent workspace from the council!
Its also ironic that there are at least 8 or 9 people who work from their homes and I know 3 of them run businesses out of their homes.

The government is to provide provision for people to work from home in the new 4 million homes to be built. So, penalising people who do work from home seems rather silly.

bedroom, or gluing small items of craftwork in thegarage, and having b*dy great 8 wheelers delivering 10 ton loads. I think I'd be a bit peeved if that started happening in my residential area...

Jim Lawton wrote:

Hummm, perhaps, one near us at home has covered 60% of his back garden in with a solid roofed "car-port" thus keeping his products and equipment dry under-cover and prying eye's unable to see what he's doing, save an occasional truck during the day when most of us are at work, and his large van that's kept elseware, it doesn't intrude, and atleast he's not dumping his rubbish in the local woods unlike some part-time builders and gardeners do....One less burden on the tax payer seems fine to me....
niel.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:11:17 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@tabbytail.freeserve.co.uk (Jim Lawton) wrote:

Take a look at:-
http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/examples_working_from_home.htm
Regards.
A few years ago (1999) I has something similar made - but 8 x 6 feet only FYI. Wooden shed, extra wide door (for tables to get in and out), insulated. Had a frost free base laid (bricks and concreete AIUI!), shed went on that. Paid a sparky to puit in the leccy, then BT put in a phone line. It can be chilly in the winter - but I first had a electric radiator on a timer in there to keep the damp/cold at bay (and believe me in 8 x 6 feet it didn't take long for it to be swealtering! Now I have several systems running 24 x 7 I don;t bother with the heater as the systems create enough heat top prevent damp in the paperwork. A small fan heater does for if I get chilly.
Total cost about a grand - but its really a case of how long is a piece of string. The insulation is (for me) a must, otherwose all you have is a woodern shell against the elements. Security isn;t too big a deal as the only system that is "KEY" and worth is my laptop which lives in the house with me. You could make of security what you will of course - door bolt, internal hinge bolts - no windows would be best of course ! Then you could use wall brackets etc to tether equipment to - a client of mine has steel cages that are fixed to the floor within which systems are locked and you could probably finf something similar if you had a concrret base to afix them to.
As for size you might get away with smaller than you think - don;t forget you have 5-6 feet of height to play with also. A smaller room will heat easier (maybe the systems will be enough on their own) and of course be cheaper to buy. you'd be surprised for instance how much you can fit in 8x6 feet - I've a small network running with a desk and a bookshelf/filing shelf easily, with a small window.
ian