Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Page 5 of 6

http://www.lillevilla.net/Eng/models/lillevilla_28.htm
http://www.lillevilla.net/Eng/assembly.htm
shows how it goes together. You can reverse the door and window positions simply by reversing the logs for the front section.
Roof details at
http://www.cedarbureau.org
http://www.johnbrash.co.uk/shakes.shtml
and
http://www.hallmarkroofing.com/meekercedarpic.htm
gives a rough idea of the roof appearance when combined with a timber building, although the illustration is obviously of a complete house. Combining cedar shakes (I could have also used shingles) with the cabin works very well, especially after adding a few detail mouldings etc. to the barge boards and fascias.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

My cousin has a two of those seagoing containers in his garden to house his collection of antique motorcycles and the workshop that goes with them.
They are lined with insulation material behind plywood (orsomesuch material). Nice and warm and no windows at all. Can be locked up tight with padlocks etc.
I've no idea where he got them from, and you'd need to be able to get in delivered with a crane.
Jenny

Fell off the back of a lorry??
An interesting idea though, I have worked in a few for short periods and although there was electric lighting I missed having a window or two.
--
-- Bill

writes

Well it fell right side up and inbetween the barn and the woodpile :~))))))

I'd imagine you could cut windows in the side if so desired. My cousin likes to hide from his wife............:~))
Jenny

Oh yes - that reminds me of lorry backs, the refrigeration units would be well insulated.
Our daughter has several on her farm, there are plenty of 'dead lorry backs' depots around. Look in Yellow pages or Google for one near you.
Mary
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 11:37:14 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

What exactly do you search for in order to find these companies? I just did a google for "dead lorry backs" and came up with a list of stories about immigrants who ran out of air whilst hiding on the cross channel ferry.
PoP

"PoP" < snipped-for-privacy@anyoldtripe.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

But they look awfull, unless you put a wood frame around and clad it. Which may be feasible.

<snip>

Hi
As has been mentioned planning permision would more than likely be required, I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better recieved.
With this in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty good these days as are the Border Oak <http://www.borderoak.com/Garages.htm type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to asthetics and your budget at the end of the day.
If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -
haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com
You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can lean towards the insane in there at times :-)
HTH
Tim
<snip>

Hi
As has been mentioned planning permission would more than likely be required, I'd be wary though, if you stride into the planning office asking for permission to build an office in the back garden then the answer will probably be no. A garden room, studio or the like would probably be better received. Try talking to a planning officer about their policy in this area in general without giving away any details.
Also what is your location, rural or urban?
With the planning issues in mind, lorry containers would probably require some window dressing to make then acceptable. The prefab timber buildings are pretty good these days as are the Border Oak <http://www.borderoak.com/Garages.htm type timber framed buildings, I guess it's down to aesthetics and your budget at the end of the day.
If you want some more info on highly insulated timber panel structures you could try contacting a guy called John Hayden, I worked with him a few years ago and he's branched out into constructing small garden rooms, he only works in the old Avon county area, so is probably not in your area. He might be able to offer some advice though. his mail is -
haydengardenrooms - you know what goes here - btopenworld.com
You could also try posting in alt.architecture but I warn you things can lean towards the insane in there at times :-)
HTH
Tim
x2 bugger :-(
still you can laugh at my non spellchecked one now

for "utility" buildings which are not habitable. They must be separate from the house, built entirely within your own ground and meet maximum height limits. (Hence the recent fury over a man who built a games room and gymnasium that was larger than his house. Planning officials could do nothing.)

And if you did ask for planning permission, isn't there a risk that the local authority might try to ask for business rates?
--
Simon Elliott
http://www.ctsn.co.uk /

My location is rural. What difference may this make planning permission?
William.R.Reisen wrote:

http://www.c-pod.com/cpod/main_page.htm
--
Ben Blaney
Must try harder

No, it's mostly off-topic hysteria about something trivial <];o)

A crossposting to uk.rec.sheds might be fun :~))
Jenny

THe two option I'm consdiering are a conservatory or a "tay" log cabin.
The log cabin is cheaper, though a bit more fiddly as it won't be connected to the house (from http://www.dhleisureandgarden.com ), but both require planning permission (in my case). You want to make sure that you have proper business permission if your business pays for it, rather than rents space in it from you (and make sure something domestic is in it to show it is part of the private dwelling. And soon as you show up on councils radars as running a business from home, beware....
I'm going to attached mine all up to my existing house alarm system and add some cameras. As it will be at the back, the dog (and all the neighbours dogs) will add protection too.
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:42:02 +0000 (UTC), "Will Trash-Spam"

What experiences have you had then? Change of use or what?