Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Page 3 of 6
"........real plant people don't use the common names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking about. ....."
It's called baffling them with "Bull Shit"
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

True - a little bullshit goes a long way :-)
On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:07:05 +0100, "BAC"

And a lot of bullshit goes a heck of a lot further.
One thing I've recognised over my adult years is that those who tell tall stories generally seem to get away with it, to the detriment of others who are as honest as the day is long. Turd polishers are usually to be found doing okay for themselves.
Tony Blair knows all about this of course.
PoP

:-) From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system. I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.
David Hill Abacus nurseries www.abacus-nurseries.co.uk
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk
"................From what I can tell its a sensibly designed naming system. I hope that was a joke considering the name of your business.........."
Well a Dahlia is a Dahlia, just a few thousand different varieties world wide.
You have to use some common sense, Thyme not Thymus, Jasmine not Jasminum, Chrysanthemum has kept its name if you are referring to spray, bloom or pot types. Also you would be more likely to talk about carnations, or garden pinks or rockery pinks rather than just Dianthus, You just have to use common sense. Often the botanic name is used to avoid confusion, such as with Campanula isophylia alba instead of "Star of Bethlehem" which could also be Ornithogalum umbellatum or Angraeceum sesquipedale or a lot of native wild flowers. And so on and so forth...
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

You think pensioners have time to spare???????
You wait!
Mary

Don't have to wait - I ama a pensioner. I have little spare time because I love to do projects for my nighbours - without fee of course!
If I were to be paid I would probably ask for payment in UKP - not a standard I invented but one, which, in the days when I worked for a living (long before the days of ISO standards), was the standard used when communicating with the USA (who were more used to USD)
I'm neither sad nor thick - I used to write programs in a range of crude and difficult languages like Fortran and Cobol in the days when computers had green screens....

You might be remembering "UKL" which is what the banks used before "GBP".
-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb Cambridge City Councillor

What about your own projects which have been hanging fire for years - to say nothing of the new ones you've just thought about?

I wouldn't have dreamed of suggesting that!

I remember them well. We still have one in fact ...
Mary

say
I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured garden ring-main with IP65 sockets. I am currently building a 20ft by 20ft fruit cage, containing raised beds for three varieties of strawberry, blackcurrent, redcurrents, a single tayberry and three rows of raspberries. When it rains I am building a computer for my prospective son-in-law and editing 28 hours of digital video taken when my wife and I spent three weeks living with hill-tribe villagers in Thailand.
I don't watch much telly - and I sleep extremely soundly!

but why are you sad, Sid?

Withdrawal symptoms having moved 200 miles from where I spent much of my life. When you are working you meet many people to share your achievements and failures with. When you are retired you do something and then feel slightly irked that there is no-one to pat you on the back, make sarcastic comments or tell you how much better you could have done it....

Call that a response? I was looking for something much more specific. Good grief, if you can't do retirement better than that, I'm afraid you're going to have to get back to work at once.
Any good?
Jim

"Sad Sid" wrote | I've just finished digging 900ft of ditch, laying drainage pipes, an | alkathene water pipe with five stand points, and installing an armoured | garden ring-main with IP65 sockets.
You must live in an awfully rough area, to have to have an armoured garden.
Owain

weeks
Quite.
And I bet there are plenty more in the pipeline.

We sleep extremely soundly and don't have a telly ...
Mary

I've just finished doing the same job - but using ordinary building materials, mostly bought second-hand via Adtrader. My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great.
It's built of breeze blocks, rendered and painted. The roof is properly tiled with slates and terracotta ridge tiles. Two double glazed UPVC windows and a pair of Wickes UPVC french doors let in plenty of light and fresh air. Second hand items: Roof trusses 100 Windows 60 Slates 180 Remainder: 6 metres ready-mix 240. Blocks 264. French doors 199. Ridge tiles 54. Sand. cement & timber made up the balance.
I've added a false chimney for birds to nest in and a bit of trellis & planting to blend it all in. Now the wife is threatening to make a take-over bid......
I did all the work myself - never done anuthing like it before but it all came out perfectly. It has taken just over three months and the only tough bits were digging out the footings and laying the blocks up the apex of the roof. If you don't have the time, try advertising for a pensioner to do it for you!
"William.R.Reisen" wrote | I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this | building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well | insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too | hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer | equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most | of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass | windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from | seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with | approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that | fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it | together myself.
You could consider something like an Omar Lodge, which can be built to transportable or B.Regs standards. Not Cheap Though. omar.co.uk and ask for a custom quote because the nearest thing on the website is probably a 6 bedroom Leisure Lodge which is probably slight overkill.
Owain

A Google search for "second hand portakabin" yields many interesting looking hits
"...... I am thinking about getting a garden office......"
I do hope you look into the requirements regarding planning permission with your local council
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries