Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

I've used ukp for a long time, so have many other people.
PoP

Good grief Tim, you are over-analysing way too much. I've seen UKP used before, it hasn't been invented to make a political stand.
Taking your logic a stage further... When you install Windows it asks you for configuration information. Country options include "United Kingdom" not "Great Britain". Are Microsoft making a political statement about Northern Ireland with their Windows Installation procedure? Using the logic you provide above, you'd have to conclude they are.
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

the
up
other
But someone must have invented it for some reason.
It makes no sense to go round inventing currency codes when there are already perfectly good standard ones - write an invented private one of your own on a bank document, for example, and it won't work. I guess people do rather less of this in everyday life now that cash cards have replaced Eurocheques, so not everybody carries the leaflet with the codes in their wallet any more, but the things are still in common enough usage that one can be expected to know the code for one's own currency!
So, despite the existence of "GBP" which has unambiguous meaning worldwide on any documents written in any language, someone goes and invents "UKP", which on the day they invented it meant nothing to anybody other than themselves. Why??
-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb Cambridge City Councillor
snip

UKPE-BAYOBIRI: a language of Nigeria SIL code: UKP
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=UKP
:-) J

Because they can. Because they want to.
I have done it. So what ? Not everyone is au-fait or cares about ISO codes anyhow, including some of the banks judging by the state of their FX software. Dave

Because its the first thing someone thought of when they wrote it. Doesnt matter to me if its GBP, UKP, LSD or . No, not that LSD.
Regards, NT
On 28 Sep 2003 15:32:48 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote:

Rascal! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in message

How about standardising on the..................>>>>>> Euro??????
(ducks and runs for cover) :-) Eric
Tim Ward wrote:

Must admit to seeing UKP used far more often than GBP myself....
Not something I can get that excited over though!
--
Cheers,

John.

[Mild, off-topic rant]
The American way to cut through the confusion is to regard everything in this region as UK, except that quite a lot of them (unlike some English people) know that the Republic of Ireland is a separate state!
Pity the people living in the Isle of Man (where I lived once) or in the States of Guernsey or the States of Jersey. They never get a mention in those drop-down lists, even though each one of them has a top-level country domain on the Internet.
Pity, also, the sizeable part of NI's population (and not only Republicans) that does, of course, live in the UK but hates to have to say so. The same goes for many Scots and Welsh and, indeed, an increasing number of English residents.
What, with our partly-devolved (dis)United Kingdom, our Countries, Provinces and Principalities, our Dependent Territories, etc., with a multitude of flags (for land and sea) to go with them, Britain rules the world in constitutional confusion. Many Britons seem to be trying to take the No.1 International Language down the same route, as well.
Peter.

Because the ISO are looking to charge for use of such codes, and it's not worth the risking the licensing costs?
Jim.
snipped-for-privacy@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) writes:

Yeah. Right. Buy better drugs.
On 28 Sep 2003 17:42:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Erm, you have seen
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2003JulSep/0213
etc. and the original announcements, the ISO are considering licence fees for ISO 4217.
Jim.

Bizarre though it sounds, the relevant sub-vomittee (a typo, but too appropriate to correct) of ISO *has* made an ill-judged and (hopefully) ill-phrased pronouncement about collecting "database publishing charges" on the *use* of (maybe only complete and up-to-date collections of?) two-letter country codes. Yes, like in geographical top-level domains. Yes, like in MIME tags for languages on web pages.
Clue-by-fours are being vigorously administered by the W3C, ICANN, and other bodies representing (some aspects of) the interests of Net users. There's probably a suitably incredulous article by John Leyden at theregister.co.uk by now...
Just remember - in international standardisation bodies as in party politics, just because an idea is patently loony on its face doesn't mean it won't get proposed in all apparent seriousness...
Stefek, driftin' along, aiming as always to both entertain and inform ;-)

News only guarantees transmission of 7 bit ASCII characters. The pound sign is an 8-bit ASCII character and will be filtered out by some news servers. The same goes for all those idiots that think it's clever to put characters from the extended Windows character set into their posts. Some servers will strip the characters and replace them with blanks, some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.
Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there, don't you worry it's a bit technical."
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

"..........Some servers will strip the Some servers will strip the characters and replace them with blanks, some sill simply drop that particular post on the floor.
Since you're a gardener, the best response is probably "there, there, don't you worry it's a bit technical."
Pity they don't strip sarcastic characters, especially those that cant even spell but rely totally on spell checker........."some sill simply" Must be nice to be so intelligent.
And for your information to be a modern "Gardener " you have to be a builder, a plumber, a gas fitter, a chemist, a botanist, an entomologist and be willing to work up to 15 hours a day in season and 7 days a week.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

even
be
Er, David, be careful.
You omitted an apostrophe in "can't". Also, if referring to living people you'd have been better saying, "those who" rather than "those that".
Anyone can make a typo.
Mary

That's a misquote, I didn't type "Some servers will strip the" twice. My typo is noted.

"can't" and that IMO is a rather more serious error than a typo. I don't use a spell checker, your clairvoyance appears to be on the wane.

But you don't have to be particularly good at any of those trades. Nor particularly informed before going off on a rant, it seems. Oh well, off you go Dirty Fingered Sid, back to pricking out behind the potting shed.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

Of course, I side with you against the previous poster's condescending remark, but...

...if they did, your paragraph would have disappeared, and...
especially those that cant even

be
...classing simple typing errors as spelling mistakes is a bit over the top, especially as you dropped an apostrophe in "can't".

and
I'm the novice gardener in our house (I found this post in uk.consultants) and I am genuinely in awe of my partner's knowledge of plants and "green fingers". Let's just hope that gardening doesn't become the "new plumbing", with thousands of disillusioned unemployed taking a six week course and foisting themselves, unprepared, upon the public!
Peter.

Easy test to spot the fakes - real plant people don't use the common names. Latin names all the time, unless you ask them what they are talking about. My girlfriend is garden designer, I have no idea what she is talking about half the time - bit like her comments about me and comfusers (thats "computer" to you)..