Garden Office Building? What do you recommend?

Page 1 of 6
Hi,
I am thinking about getting a garden office. I would be using this building all year round working in it most days so needs to be well insulated so the cold doesn't get at me and also needs to not get too hot in the summertime. Also there would be about 6k of computer equipment in there so needs to be as secure as possible. Because most of my work is done on computers I don't want huge swathes of glass windows and doors as I find too much light getting in stops me from seeing the screen clearly due to reflections. I'm thinking of one with approximate dimensions 3.5mx3.5m. Any suggestions for a vendor that fits in well with these criterior. Also I'm not against putting it together myself.
Thanks.
Have you considered - bricks and tile roof?
On 27 Sep 2003 09:25:05 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (William.R.Reisen) wrote:

I have a friend who has one of these - a wooden shack about the dimensions you suggestion, perhaps slightly bigger.
Nice in the summer, but he reckons in the winter it's a pain to keep warm and not a very nice place to work. Must spend a lot of money with electric heating in there I think.
As I recall it doesn't have much in the way of insulation. It's really no more than a typical garden shed - four walls, ceiling, all wood.
I guess it might make a difference if it were insulated. But then again, it might have been better to consider an alternative. Would perhaps a caravan be an option? At least with a caravan the fibreglass shell is hardy towards the weather, and you tend to have an instant means of making a cuppa (and doing some of the other things that the body expects from time to time....).
PoP
(William.R.Reisen)

Good idea for all sorts of reasons - except that you wouldn't get a caravan 3.5mx3.5m ...
Mary

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:05:02 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Reminder: This is the uk.d-i-y group. So what's stopping you taking a chainsaw to a regular sized caravan? ;)
PoP

About the only good thing worth doing to a caravan.
Cheers Clive

Remember to be careful with the plumbing.
Mary

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (William.R.Reisen) wrote in

I did this in a converted shed. I filled all the gaps in the walls then lined the whole of the inside with rockwool, and covered over the top of this with plywood. Did the same for the ceiling, running the rockwool between the "joists" and covering over with plywood.
It worked well, it was fine to heat in the winter I had a little fan heater that did the trick well. The shed was around 10' by 8'. The main problem I had was the heat in the summer, it reched stupid proportions, about 30 degrees. It was suggested to paint the roof with siler felt seal to reflect the heat, but I never got round to that.
For power I ran cable down the garden and had a seperate consumer unit in the shed, which after some discussion was decided the best way to do it, with an isdolator indoors where it ran from the main CU.
I had a good proportion of computer equpiment in there although not as much as you, but it did get cold overnight, due to not having a proper heater in there. If you go this route I would suggest putting in a proper wall heater that can run overnight to take the chill off if it drops too low.
Saved space in the house though and was great for escaping SWMBO!!

A 2ft Tubular Heater works fine. 60 watts per foot

I bet she was relieved too.
Mary
Kev wrote:

a couple hundred watts of computer left running (with the monitor turned off) would do the job nicely ;-)
(and put less strain on the hard drive by not power cycling it every day)
--
Cheers,

John.

materials, mostly bought second-hand via Adtrader. My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great.
It's built of breeze blocks, rendered and painted. The roof is properly tiled with slates and terracotta ridge tiles. Two double glazed UPVC windows and a pair of Wickes UPVC french doors let in plenty of light and fresh air. Second hand items: Roof trusses 100 Windows 60 Slates 180 Remainder: 6 metres ready-mix 240. Blocks 264. French doors 199. Ridge tiles 54. Sand. cement & timber made up the balance.
I've added a false chimney for birds to nest in and a bit of trellis & planting to blend it all in. Now the wife is threatening to make a take-over bid......
I did all the work myself - never done anuthing like it before but it all came out perfectly. It has taken just over three months and the only tough bits were digging out the footings and laying the blocks up the apex of the roof. If you don't have the time, try advertising for a pensioner to do it for you!
"......My 16ft x 10ft office cost 1200ukp and looks great..........."
What ever happened to the good old British ? This is a UK group after all.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work- around :-}
-- Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email * old email address "btiruseless" abandoned due to worm-generated spam * --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Not all newsreaders seem to display them properly, so ukp is a work- around :-}
But if you feel the need for such a workaround why not use the standard code? Why invent something non-standard that leaves people having to work out what it means? Or is this a deliberate political statement about the status of Northern Ireland?
-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb Cambridge City Councillor

What?
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk

I'm trying to work out why someone should invent "UKP" in preference to using the ISO standard "GBP". That was the only explanation I could come up with, Northern Ireland being in UK but not in GB, I thought that perhaps someone who wanted to make a political statement about Northern Ireland being part of the UK would object to using "GBP". Can you think of any other reason for inventing "UKP"?
-- Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear Brett Ward Ltd - www.brettward.co.uk Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb Cambridge City Councillor

1) I saw it in use first 2) It's more accurate 3) Stuff ISO - standards committees are often a waste of time
Well, you did ask!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
[8 lines snipped]

That'll be why your internet connection works, will it?
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 13:54:19 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

Exactly. Doesn't use the ISO seven-layer model, but something invented long before by practitioners, not ISO...I had that in mind when I said it.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk