Garden lighting transformers

Hi all

The transformer that runs my garden lights has packed up so I need to source a new one.

The old transformer was an outdoor mountable 96W unit and run 4 x 21W 12v bulbs over approx a 6m cable run, it was also quite a weighty unit and approx a 6" cube

I've only had a quick look on the web but can't seem to find a direct replacement, the nearest candidate is something like this

looks a much smaller and compact unit, is this jut a result of modern electronics or is this unit intended for a different purpose (eg to run just one light, mounted close to the unit)

Many Thanks

Jim

Reply to
JimM

>> This looks a much smaller and compact unit, is this jut a result of

Modern one are electronic switch mode power supplies - cheaper to make than iron and copper transformers. They will do the job OK but sometimes have a minimum load but your 84W on a 105va will be fine.

You may find that an internal fuse has failed in the old one. Sometimes repairable but other times deep buried inside the windings and not accessible.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

One problem you might have - the high frequency output is not as good about going down long cable runs. You might find the lights at the end of the run are noticably dimmer.

A toroidal one might be better for such a cable run, such as

neither of these ebay items is a good price IMO.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

>>> Modern one are electronic switch mode power supplies - cheaper to make

They do specify 2m maximum cable length on the output side.

Reply to
Andy Burns

although neither of these ebay items is a good price IMO.

Thanks for the input Andrew, any ideas of an online source who may be better priced ?

Cheers

Jim

Reply to
JimM

In message , JimM writes

How much more expensive would a new set of lights be over buying a new transformer

Reply to
geoff

Change the lamps for LEDs. guessing either wedge lamps or MBC , and re size the trafo for an LED driver at fraction of power

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby