Garden Lighting

We have some mini garden lighting. It consists of 4 lights. Each light runs off 12 volts and is rated at either 20 or 30 watts.

We would like to change the colour of the lights. We have tried using filters fitted around the bulbs but these just don't seem to work.

Is there any paint that is designed for use at high temperatures? We were thinking of spraying the bulbs or the glass surroud that goes over the bulbs.

I realise that the paint might insultate some of the heat and reduce the life of the bulbs but this is something that we can live with.

Any suggestions for a type of paint that is designed to work with higher temperatures?

Thanks, Graham

Reply to
graham

Have you tried proper profesional photographic colour filters ? Some are plastic, some are glass.

Im my first job we used to stick these on everything ........

Rick

Reply to
Rick

If they are MR16's, they are available in coloured versions.

I don't think this would work with bare halogen capsules, if that's what you're using. They run at around 350C.

Ideal question for a theatre lighting group such as rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft who will be familiar with the current state of the art of high temperature filters.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bulb painting can be done with the paints from stained glass kits, also yellow headlamp paint. CFLs are low temp enough to be painted with anything seethrough.

But if youve got bare halogen capsules, forget painting them, or putting anything close, they run at very high temps.

Theater gels are also available, but are steeply priced considering the other options.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Bulb painting can be done with the paints from stained glass kits, also yellow headlamp paint. CFLs are low temp enough to be painted with anything seethrough.

But if youve got bare halogen capsules, forget painting them, or putting anything close, they run at very high temps.

Theater gels are also available, but are steeply priced considering the other options.

NT

Forgot to mention, some other no cost filters: red flexible plastic trays that cakelets come in, eg kiplings etc green plastic 2l bottles, use 2 or 3 layers. bottles of other colors sweet wrappers for tiny lights

But none of thee are fireproof, so must be fixed with due caution.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

As a resident of rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft I can tell you that the best way would be to buy coloured MR16 lamps. Maplin sell them, amongst others.

Theatre colour filter would work, but even the latest high temp stuff fades over time and needs replacing. The coloured lamps use dichroic filter which lasts for ever. If you want to pursue the theatre colour filter idea, your local disco shop will probably sell you some.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Tried it.

It doesn't seem to give a very good effect.

Graham

Reply to
graham

In fact they are 10 watts.

I managed to find a company that does the clear bulbs. However, I can't see anyone doing them in colours.

graham

dennis

I have emailed them.

Thanks, Graham

Reply to
graham

We originally tried using a "sky blue" blue coloured gel. We wrapped the gel closely around the bulb but found that it gave a poor result.

We have tried again, but this time we have put the gel up against the inside of the garden lights holder / shield and it looks really good.

The garden lights had a black plastic cap. We have found that we can increase the quality of the lighting by putting a thin strip of silver foil in the cap to reflect the light back down.

It looks really good. The whole garden is covered in "sky blue" light.

I found a company that produces a whole range of gels. £5 per roll + £5 for delivery. The roll is large and could do a substantial number of lights.

graham