Garden light rusted

Hi
Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting is pressed sheet steel fwiw.
I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?
Regards, NT

Soak with Coke
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

Interesting, not heard that one. I'll try that, but once its soaked I dont see how the screws can be removed, unless they get dissolved somehow. When I say they're rusted as, I mean you cant tell what kind of driver the head once was. Coke and snap them off? What does the coke do, dissolve the rust?
Thanks, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

Phosphoric acid I think - turns rust into phosphate.

N. Thornton wrote:

I take it you can't dremel/hacksaw a new slot? Otherwise safety goggles and a drill press, and hope the screws fail before you hit the glass - sometimes the last bit of swarf gets ripped off. Use a drill only slightly larger than the shaft of the screw. I say drill press rather than hand held because it might reduce vibrations/shock of going through head. Or try a dremel.
--
Chris
-----

Hi.
I can buy a new one for 8, its not a special or anything. So if I have to take it off the wall I'll just replace it. So really that rules out a drill press.
Sawing a new slot: I can try it, or water pump pliers might work, its just the thing's so badly rusted I'd be very surprised if any of them unscrewed. But I shall try after I've coked it.
Then I'm thinking if I use a tiny drill bit to take bits out of the remaining snapped off screw I might get one to come out. Got it, a grinding point on the dremel. Once ones out I can get to the others and snap them off. The screws are right on the glass, with no wiggle room, so it'll be a close shave at best.
On this light it does need the screws to hold the glass, I cant use wire ties or anything, so that then leaves me with the q of what to replace them with. More steel screws doesnt seem like the smartset idea. And I dont think scr do bags of assorted size stainless ones....
Thanks.
Regards, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

I'd agree with that.

WD40 might be worth a go as well of course (post coke, pre twist)

Sounds interesting - for want of a better word. If you can recover 1 it might be possible to match and certainly B+Q do ripoff bags of metric sizes.
--
Chris
-----

good one. It'll be one funny tasting light fitting :)

No hope, theyre way past that. even if i break an end bit off you cant match a new screw to a blob of rust.
Least I figured I can drill new holes for new screws, so thats that solved.
Thanks for your help, NT
N. Thornton wrote:

The twist wasn't meant to be of lemon - I only realised after posting. I'll have a screwdriver then.
--
Chris
-----