Garden light rusted

Hi

Screws holding the glass cover are rusted as ----. If the screws are drilled, the moment the bit goes thru it'll hit the glass. The fitting is pressed sheet steel fwiw.

I assume its a bin job - are there any repair options?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Soak with Coke

Reply to
Chris Oates

Interesting, not heard that one. I'll try that, but once its soaked I dont see how the screws can be removed, unless they get dissolved somehow. When I say they're rusted as, I mean you cant tell what kind of driver the head once was. Coke and snap them off? What does the coke do, dissolve the rust?

Thanks, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Phosphoric acid I think - turns rust into phosphate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I take it you can't dremel/hacksaw a new slot? Otherwise safety goggles and a drill press, and hope the screws fail before you hit the glass - sometimes the last bit of swarf gets ripped off. Use a drill only slightly larger than the shaft of the screw. I say drill press rather than hand held because it might reduce vibrations/shock of going through head. Or try a dremel.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Hi.

I can buy a new one for £8, its not a special or anything. So if I have to take it off the wall I'll just replace it. So really that rules out a drill press.

Sawing a new slot: I can try it, or water pump pliers might work, its just the thing's so badly rusted I'd be very surprised if any of them unscrewed. But I shall try after I've coked it.

Then I'm thinking if I use a tiny drill bit to take bits out of the remaining snapped off screw I might get one to come out. Got it, a grinding point on the dremel. Once ones out I can get to the others and snap them off. The screws are right on the glass, with no wiggle room, so it'll be a close shave at best.

On this light it does need the screws to hold the glass, I cant use wire ties or anything, so that then leaves me with the q of what to replace them with. More steel screws doesnt seem like the smartset idea. And I dont think scr do bags of assorted size stainless ones....

Thanks.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I'd agree with that.

WD40 might be worth a go as well of course (post coke, pre twist)

Sounds interesting - for want of a better word. If you can recover 1 it might be possible to match and certainly B+Q do ripoff bags of metric sizes.

Reply to
Chris Hodges

good one. It'll be one funny tasting light fitting :)

No hope, theyre way past that. even if i break an end bit off you cant match a new screw to a blob of rust.

Least I figured I can drill new holes for new screws, so thats that solved.

Thanks for your help, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

The twist wasn't meant to be of lemon - I only realised after posting. I'll have a screwdriver then.

Reply to
Chris Hodges