Garden Gate Post

I want fit a wooden garden side gate (1.9m x 0.9m). The hinge side will be fixed to a wooden plate which will be screwed to the brick wall of the house. The post on the latch side of the gate needs to be fixed to a concrete fence post - the type where the fence panels slot into either side. However the fence, and therefore the face of the concrete post is at about a 30 degree angle to wall, so either the post will need to be planned/sawn with one face at an angle, or a square post plus some angled "spacers".

What's the best way to fix the gate post to the concrete post - can these posts be drilled to take wall plugs (or frame fixings)?

Any advice appreciated.

(and no, I don't want to dig up the driveway to put the fence post into the ground!).

Thanks, David.

Reply to
DavidM

Yes, but be careful of any steel reinforcing that's in them.

Keep the posts 20mm up off the driveway - this will stop water being soaked up through the end grain therefore reducing the likelyhood of rot.

Spoilsport - the making good to this is half the fun of the job. ;-)

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Am I reading that wrong? You want to cut the concrete post down on one edge, so the angle is at 90 degrees with the wall?

Can't you cut a piece of timber to a wedge that fixes to the concrete post? I think that would be much easier than trying to cut the concrete.

I have missed something, haven't I? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I think you're reading it wrong Big Wallop - he will have great difficulty in "planing or sawing" the concrete post! Try thinking of him fitting timber posts to the concrete - at least that's the way I read it.

I think that is what he has actually said - to fit a timber post!

Yes, he said - "The *post* on the latch side of the gate needs to be *fixed*

*to* *a* *concrete* *fence* *post* - ROTFL

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Far easier to fit the hinges to the timber attached to the concrete post - they will cope with the angle no prob. If you can't do that the post has to be angled. Arris rail might do the job but thats 45 degree.

Easy enough to angle the post with a table saw, not something I'd want to try with a circular saw.

I usually use multi montis, but plugs & screws will work. You will need an SDS drill. There are normally two strips of rebar, so drill as centrally as possible to avoid them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Phew!!! I'm glad that's cleared things up. Not paying attention to what I'm reading. I was the same at school. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

"DavidM" wrote

If your posts are anything like the ones I have, they are likely to have 2 holes already drilled through them. One is about 8" from the top, the other a further 48" down. Ignoring the angle for now, the timber can be bolted using these 2 holes and M12 bolts. Did just this 2 weeks ago and it's sound. Had to cut the bolts down a bit to make sure the nut and bolt end didn't stop the panel sliding down the inner groove. Tightened the bolts up so the nut buried itself a bit in the concrete post.

Works for me

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I assume from your description that the holes in your post were through the grooves into which the panels slide. I need to fix the gate post onto the flat face of the concrete post ie the gate is at right angles (well actually about 60 degrees) to the line of the fence, and there are panels on both side of the post so I can't even bolt an angle bracket on without preventing the posts sliding in.

Reply to
DavidM