Garden fencing

However, let's say wooden posts are 10 year life, concrete are probably 30.

Cost of materials a little more but in the context of the project not a lot.

Projected cost of labour ten years in the future is almost certainly more than the difference in cost between wooden and concrete posts.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You do need to at least ram earth down each side of the post. Because it's a square post and a round hole, there is a gap on all four sides, and you can ram the earth that you removed from the hole back in there using a long piece of pipe. You could put concrete down there instead but I don't think a small amount of concrete is any better than earth. I assume that you are going to use timber treated for use in the ground, called H4 in NZ. I have never had H4 timber go rotten. If you want a top job then a large lump of concrete surrounding the post will make it last longer than just 50 years.

Reply to
Matty F

That is a really good point - as long as the home owner intends to stay for long enough.

I find that people like the idea of concrete posts even though they cost twice as much. As you say, its the labour cost & that extra cost can put them off.

I add 50% to my labour estimate for concrete posts and another 20% if they want concrete gravel boards.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm considering putting up a fence, and while browsing a local supplier, found they sold plastic posts - UPVC coloured brown or green. They're shaped rather like concrete posts with a double groove to slot in the panels. These seem to be a good idea as they have all the advantages of concrete without the weight. Anybody come across these or used them? They also sell matching gravel boards. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller

Wood

Will > On 2006-11-14 15:13:24 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@mail.com said: >

Reply to
ryanjjones

:)

That may be the better solution - but would (A) be good enough for 5 years?

If not - how big a hole would you suggest? And just fill with normal balast?

(As an aside - another mate says use gravel and not concrete as it helps the water drain awyay and prevents rot!)

lol!

Why isn't there a simple answer :)

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reply to
ryanjjones

Dave

Slightly off topic - just thought I'd say what a great website! OK - not in the technical web department, but must go as (appearing to be) one of the most honest and clear websites I've seen. If only more were like that!

RJ

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Reply to
ryanjjones

Thanks Ryan, the punters seem to like it as well!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman