Garden electrics

Any comments on the following extract from uk.rec.gardening?
Message 12 in thread From: Ric ( snipped-for-privacy@off.com) Subject: Re: Spec for greenhouse electical fittings View this article only Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening Date: 2003-10-31 12:17:03 PST
In the UK electrical fittings are always massively over-specced. You will be fine using the lowest spec and cheapest ones.
By way of example, here in France I have so-called "exterior" sockets all around my garden in various places for exterior lights and garden tools. They are just the same as interior sockets except in a mildly more shock absorbent plastic. They are considered perfectly ok here.
CRB
On 1 Nov 2003 06:10:23 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@compuserve.com (CRB) wrote:

The author can do what he wants.
Personally, I always buy the best quality fittings and fit according to the IEE Wiring Regulations. One can argue that in some aspects British Standards for both are somewhat over-engineered. However in this application we are talking about an environment of potentially high humidity and/or presence of water and dirt and a risk of mechanical damage.
If the author wishes to risk his own life for the sake of a few Euros, that's up to him, but it isn't responsible to suggest that others should do so.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

In mitigation, mostly French electrics all appear to be RCD controlled as I experienced in a Gite where a shower tripped the whole property off! So they are probably fairly safe if somewhat inconvenienced.

True. In fact a lot of hotel rooms in France seem to have consumer units, although that is also to house impulse relays to operate the lights from muliple switches.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

An inevitable consequence of not using ring mains. The length of the cabling runs gets silly otherwise. Even in the oldest and nastiest of old French buildings with old French wiring, you had "fuse boards" at what seemed very small intervals by English practice.

Indeed. Which is why I have regularly returned to hotel rooms there to find them in darkness...

As is feeding cattle engine oil and pretending BSE doesn't exist in France.

Which reminds me....
I recently learned that when the whole mad cow saga began, the French ministry of agriculture decided that it would be a good idea to label French-produced beef with the letters VF to mean "Viande Franaise".
Unfortunately, these letters also stand for "vache fou"
It was later replaced with VBF - "Viande Bovine Franaise"
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

France.
Thanks for the new insult Andy. I can use it under my breath when arguing with SWMBO. :-))

Mucca pazza is also useful.

arguing
S. Grazie. :-))