Garage water heater

I am having a garage/workshop built about 30m from my house and will have a water and electricity supply fitted. Rather than pipe hot water from the house I plan to use an electric water heater.
Do you think a 3kW heater will be enough for this sort of thing?
TIA, Peter

It depends on "what this sort of thing" actually is.
3kW is not enough to do anything useful to mains cold water on an instant flow basis, so at 3kW, the water heaters store the water - different sizes and different capacities. Basically the water lasts until the store empties, but can be run as fast as you like.
If you wanted to have continuous flow, you would need a type which is essentially akin to an electric shower and produces a fairly poor flow rate and requires 8-10kW. Considering the remote location of the garage and that you will probably want to supply other equipment, this would entail laying on a substantial supply.
Assuming that you are just thinking about hand washing plus perhaps the odd bucket of warm water for washing the car, then a storage type should be OK.
If you look at www.tlc-direct.co.uk they have a selection
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

At a previous workplace, we had 3kW instant water heaters for the wash basin in the toilets, and they were fine for that application. TLC have a few of these on their web pages. They have something to make the water feel like it's a stronger flow than it really is, like a spray head on the TLC ones, or an airated head on the wash basin ones we had. This is fine for hand washing, but if you are after large bucklet loads of hot water for some other application, forget it.
--
Andrew Gabriel

On 8 Jan 2004 10:11:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I reckon I will go for the bucket solution, as

Peter