Garage to shed?

SWTSMBO and the boys keep on about me building a model railway layout for them in the roof, I'm not keen on putting such things in the roof, don't want Velux's to have suitable escapes etc.....And its a truss roof so loadings would be an issue.

So I'm thinking of putting a shed up for them, not a wooden one as they don't last (Oak's and poor access behind doesn't help) beyond 5-10 years , so I've been looking a sectional concrete one (better for security too). For what they cost new, and seeing them for not much in the ad's I'm wondering if a garage could be reused with panels instead of the big door? As it would be smaller than most garages probably using the original parts? Anyone done this? Anyone got a vertical panel garage going cheap/free in the South Hants area?

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

I've told you once, two Land Rover military ambulance bodies rivetted together :)

All the best

Reply to
wayne

Badger has brought this to us :

I think the panels on most garages vary in size for the flat roofed ones, to enable the roof to drain. Taller panels at the front, shorter ones towards the rear. Probably a way around it would be to fill the big door space in with a concrete block work wall.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I have built two from free or nearly so sectional garages. I glue and bolt the panels together and to the base. Conventionally the garage roof fall is by angled additional pieces above regular rectangular panels. I prefer to build my own apex roof on top. Use roof sheets with insulation. Use thin cellotex in the voids of the side panels. A reinforced door with at least two locks and the whole is pretty secure. Cost can be very low. Cheap transport and carrying labour is needed though. mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Enough of the l/r theme!

Reply to
Badger

It will be best to lay a concrete base for this building. The door is easy to deal with, a 3"x2" framework containing a window and second-hand (or home-made) door with a lock, and clad with Sterling board and featheredge board over looks good, and is cheap and secure. Avoid flat roofs - a flat roofed garage is quite easy to convert to a pitched roof one, but it will cost a couple of hundred to do using new timber and corrugated iron (NOT onduline!).

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built