Garage Roof

Garage roof has been collecting water for a while. Now it's dripping through and bowing. Time for action but what are the difference in prices/best to go for? Bit of googling shows standard asphalt, fibreglass and epdm. I'd never heard of the last two. Want something that will 'see us out'

Cheers,

Trev

Reply to
Trevor Peacock

Garage roof has been collecting water for a while. Now it's dripping through and bowing. Time for action but what are the difference in prices/best to go for? Bit of googling shows standard asphalt, fibreglass and epdm. I'd never heard of the last two. Want something that will 'see us out'

Cheers,

Trev

Reply to
Trevor Peacock

Garage roof has been collecting water for a while. Now it's dripping through and bowing. Time for action but what are the difference in prices/best to go for? Bit of googling shows standard asphalt, fibreglass and epdm. I'd never heard of the last two. Want something that will 'see us out'

Depends on the sub structure and soundness of existing timbers etc.

Any reason not to use corrugated steel sheet ?

Reply to
Nthkentman

I take it you are looking to patch/seal a nominally flat roof. As second poster says, the right action depends a lot on whether the underlying structure (chipboard? plywood?) has been damp for a long time.

But if converting to pitched, I would also consider Onduline, or Wickes identical "own brand" as well as steel sheet. Not sure if there are any "fire" implications especially if garage is semi-detached.

Reply to
newshound

Whole roof needs doing. The chipboard is damp. Will have a look at the Wickes stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

Trev

Reply to
Trevor Peacock

I've just used free corrugated iron. That should last 50 years.

Reply to
Matty F

I would go for a metal roof, (cheapest option) as the roof structure is obviously knackered if it's sunk. The fall (slope) will have to be checked and maybe adjusted.

Fibre glass is resin and glass fibre matting laid up in situ. epdm is butyl rubber similar to fish pond liner. Both need a good substrate to lie on (which you haven't got any more).

Reply to
harryagain

It's basically the modern equivalent of asbestos cement. I have some which is ~ 25 years old and still sound, but a bit "saggy". Consider reducing the rafter and purlin spacing, anything which overhangs much may be better with a facia board or bargeboard.

Reply to
newshound