Garage roller shutter door recommendations?

Does anyone have any recommendations for roller shutter garage doors or any tips of what to watch out for? We are in Leeds.

Reply to
Bob

Yes - avoid them like the plague - they're horribly flimsy. Go for a decent sectional door instead. OK, you need more space, but you'll have a much stronger job which will also be a lot more draft-proof.

Reply to
Roger Mills

+1
Reply to
harryagain

Hormann roller shutters.

We have a sectional Hormann and 2 roller shutters by them - all are well made. Reason for the shutters is the height of the doors but really little to choose quality wise.

We had them all fitted by a Leeds firm over the period of a couple of years about 4 years ago - excellent service and competitive on prices. (ABI)

Reply to
David P

I went to these

for a pair of Cardale roller shutter doors - quite satisfactory and no problem with draughts although I did install this:
afterwards, from the same vendor.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

We also have a Hormann sectional door. Necessary, because when we first move into this property we had a Ford Mondeo estate, and it only just fitted into the garage, lengthwise, with about an inch to spare, front and back, and it had to be reversed in to allow the existing one-piece up-and-over door to close, otherwise as the door came down, it hit the back of the estate and wouldn't shut. The up-and-over door was in need of replacement anyway. We did look at roller doors, but they required more headroom to accommodate the rolled-up door, or an unsightly box on the front of the garage. The sectional door allowed the car to be put into the garage forwards or reverse. Well made and cheaper than I expected.

Chris Hogg

We've got two roller doors. I wouldn't recommend them. One doesn't shut properly, gets half way and judders until you help it go down. Once they're down, there is a gap at the top which in spring/summer house martins use for access to their nests.

mark

Reply to
mark

Who fits those Hormann sectional shutters and at what sort of cost?

mark

Reply to
mark

Sectional and shutters are two different types of door, we have both types. Garage door fitters fit them - do a search unless you are in Leeds when I gave the name of the company (above) who fitted ours.

Price? - dunno what they cost now - get a couple of quotes

Reply to
David P

[We've had this topic before, and I've said this before, but it's all worth repeating...]

Two years ago I got a roller door fitted. It's a fantastic improvement on the former up and over door. However I went "cheap" (knew a bloke who knew a bloke ...) The bloke himself is great by the way, but the door - hmm.

- Spend some money -- it'll be worth it.

- Get one that has a pressure-detect on the bottom edge -- i.e., it will stop if it detects it's coming down on something. Instead of that, mine has a "magic eye" which only detects if something is in the way, i.e. something reasonably bulky. This is no bloody good at all if you have left something thin (e.g. a broom handle) propped up in the pathway of the descending door: magic eye doesn't see it, door comes down, door smashes all its flimsy plastic fastenings inside the roller as irresistible force meets immovable object. Garage inaccessible until fixed.

That's happened to me twice (TWO TIMES!), Wouldn't be so bad if you could DIY-fix it, but it's a hell of a difficult job, and you really have to know how to re-install the door. Hence I called my "bloke" out, who could fix it within 1/2 hour (if he can get the replacement fastenings).

If it happens again, I might well have a new one installed, costing me twice as much probably, but relieving me of 'stress'. :-)

Mine cost £750 (cash); plus £50 each time the straps broke.

Finally: I repeat that the roller door despite the faults of mine, is a fantastic improvement on the old up-and-over.

HTH John

Reply to
Another John

We have a Hormann sectional from ABI in Leeds. Recommended.

I'd like to have a go at building my own as I cannot afford to have one fit ted and I've never seen one the right size come up on Ebay (yet)! What material would people recommend to use for the panels? In my case it' s more to keep out draughts, weather and prying eyes. I do have all the hin ges, rollers and other gear, I can weld up the tracks, I've even got a suit able motor! I'm just struggling with finding a suitable material that has t he strength but at the same time is light weight.

Reply to
puffernutter

Our Seceuroglide roller has been fine for several years. Standard single door, insulated and powered - about £1300 fitted.

We couldn't have a sectional because our garage is mostly the same width as the opening; no room for the track.

Reply to
Reentrant

In message , mark writes

For first problem have you tried lubricating the side slides Secondly ours (Rollux) close right up flush at the top and have a weather proof seal along the bottom. Sounds like yours were pretty cr**

Reply to
bert

I'm please with my sectional door:

Mark

A bit OTT! I have had one which I installed myself to replace an up and over, which I fitted 6 years ago. Its been absolutely fine. I maybe would not recommend installing it where it might be subjected to vandalism, but mine is quite safe 20 yards up my drive and even at the road side, it would not be likely to be vandalised anyway.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield