Garage roller doors?

Looking for an insulated roller type garage door. So far I've only seen the Cardale Thermaglide and the Pennine Ultima Thermal door which seem to be identical. Has anyone installed one of these and been satisfied or does anyone know of a better product. TIA Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

Why do you need a thermal door on a garage? For most people it is unnecessary. In my experience the quality of most consumer roller garage doors is absolutely dreadful. When I wanted one I ended up getting a local commercial roller door manufacturer install one for less and it is really robust. You should be able to get one and have them supply it in a suitably coloured powder coat finish.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I bought a german insulated roller shutter door from Romford shutters and blinds. It is well worth having a proper insulated one, they keep you warm/cool and they also keep the draughts out properly, they do not feel as solid as a steel roller shutter.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

exposed and windy part of the Nort East. Pepper

Reply to
Pepper

It is very useful to have a thermally insulated door if it is going to be used as a workshop as I have done. However, I wouldn't go for a roller door. I simply attached Celotex inside the wooden doors and panelled inside that as well as using vinyl draught strips around the doors.

The result, with roof and walls insulated as well, is to reduce the heat requirement to the calculated value of around 2-3kW.

Had I left the doors uninsulated, the results would have been quite different.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have heard tales of roller shutter doors jamming. If you are in a windy location, or do not want the door to 'kick out' into the driveway, why not consider a sectional door instead? Mine is made by Novoferm (

) and was installed by an excellent local company here in Wakefield, West Yorks. I was impressed by the build quality of these doors when a neighbour had one installed, and now half the estate seems to have them. (Happily, no problems with the wrong door opening when the remote control is pressed!)

Even the standard door is insulated (about 20mm thick as far as I can remember), and they also do one double the thickness if you want.

There are other companies making similar doors.

Rick

Reply to
Richard Sterry

I bought an Ideal SFL38 sectional door like:

BIG download] a few years ago from some long gone importer in Wales.

2 man installation. Does what it says on the datasheet. It's cool.

David

Reply to
Vortex

Whatever you fit - lubricate it well.

Many builders store doors outside - they get sandy. They get installed when building is still going on - and the buyer doesn't clean / lube it. No wonder they fail.

Reply to
John