Garage floor tiles

Hi;

Anyone tiled a garage floor?

Anyone seen a tile that would be OK on a garage floor?

I remember years ago a thick expensive tile that would take the pounding from jacks, hammers etc a garage floor will take, but heaven knows what that was?

My Garage is still being built(DIY) and laying a good tile will rid the screeding and powder problems later on.

Regards Ian

Reply to
ipellew

TV studios use 'battleship' lino, and those floors take a good old pounding - and are likely to have all sorts spilt on them. I've also used it for my workshop bench top covering as it's easy to keep clean. Dunno where you'd buy it - I got an offcut when they were replacing one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

| Hi; | | Anyone tiled a garage floor? | | Anyone seen a tile that would be OK on a garage floor? | | I remember years ago a thick expensive tile that would take the | pounding from jacks, hammers etc a garage floor will take, but heaven | knows what that was? | | My Garage is still being built(DIY) and laying a good tile will rid the | screeding and powder problems later on.

All cars drip oil in small or large amounts. Look in any new car showroom. This would IMO ruin any nice tile floor

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'd have thought any tiling robust enough for garage use would be exhorbitantly expensive. Why on earth not just use floor paint like most people (search the archives of this ng for posts by Andy Hall (IIRC) giving details of the mutts' nuts stuff if ordinary floor paint isn't up to it.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Paving slabs? Laid on a cement screed, not 5 blobs.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

DJC

Andy Hall

Glazed ones?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

============= 'Durbar plate' would do the job but it would look very industrial.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > On 10 Sep 2005 04:57:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pipemedia.co.uk wrote: | > | > | Hi; | > | | > | Anyone tiled a garage floor? | > | | > | Anyone seen a tile that would be OK on a garage floor? | > | | > | I remember years ago a thick expensive tile that would take the | > | pounding from jacks, hammers etc a garage floor will take, but heaven | > | knows what that was? | > | | > | My Garage is still being built(DIY) and laying a good tile will rid the | > | screeding and powder problems later on. | > | > All cars drip oil in small or large amounts. Look in any new car showroom. | > This would IMO ruin any nice tile floor | | Glazed ones?

Jacks, hammers and glazed tiles? Grout?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

You'd have to use coasters.

Epoxy grout should be oilproof.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > On 10 Sep 2005 17:35:09 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote: | > | > | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > | > On 10 Sep 2005 04:57:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pipemedia.co.uk wrote: | > | > | > | > | Hi; | > | > | | > | > | Anyone tiled a garage floor? | > | > | | > | > | Anyone seen a tile that would be OK on a garage floor? | > | > | | > | > | I remember years ago a thick expensive tile that would take the | > | > | pounding from jacks, hammers etc a garage floor will take, but heaven | > | > | knows what that was? | > | > | | > | > | My Garage is still being built(DIY) and laying a good tile will rid the | > | > | screeding and powder problems later on. | > | > | > | > All cars drip oil in small or large amounts. Look in any new car showroom. | > | > This would IMO ruin any nice tile floor | > | | > | Glazed ones

Definitely not on a floor, too slippery.

| > Jacks, hammers and glazed tiles? | You'd have to use coasters.

Under where you are going to drop that hammer/big spanner?

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Plastic coat all your tools, job done.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

| Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > On 10 Sep 2005 18:51:09 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote: | > | > | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > | > On 10 Sep 2005 17:35:09 GMT, Ian Stirling wrote: | > | > | > | > | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > | > | > On 10 Sep 2005 04:57:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@pipemedia.co.uk wrote: | > | > | > | > | > | > | Hi; | > | > | > | | > | > | > | Anyone tiled a garage floor? | > | > | > | | > | > | > | Anyone seen a tile that would be OK on a garage floor? | > | > | > | | > | > | > | I remember years ago a thick expensive tile that would take the | > | > | > | pounding from jacks, hammers etc a garage floor will take, but heaven | > | > | > | knows what that was? | > | > | > | | > | > | > | My Garage is still being built(DIY) and laying a good tile will rid the | > | > | > | screeding and powder problems later on. | > | > | > | > | > | > All cars drip oil in small or large amounts. Look in any new car showroom. | > | > | > This would IMO ruin any nice tile floor | > | > | | > | > | Glazed ones | > | > Definitely not on a floor, too slippery. | > | > | > Jacks, hammers and glazed tiles? | > | > | You'd have to use coasters. | > | > Under where you are going to drop that hammer/big spanner? | > | | Plastic coat all your tools, job done.

Plastic coated hammer heads, the hammer would not work ;-)

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

22 mm Buchtal fully vitrified. Make sure you are sitting down with a glass of water (or something stronger) before you ask the price. I suggest you use an epoxy screed instead. Remember, in any case, to *thoroughly* de-grease the floor. I have seen rather too many flooring jobs in garages fail due to the omission of this step. I could always tell them without opening the package. They stank of motor oil.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt