Garage electrics and part P

Hi All, I have been looking over my electrics in my detached garage and shed and have decided they need tidying up. The power was already there when I moved into the house in 1991 and is fed by a 30a fuse from the house cu. Over the years I have made a few minor changes: replaced an outdoor socket with a good switched IP67 and fitted an rcd to the garage incoming which also covers the shed at the top of the garden, this is fed by SWA which is laid under a concrete path from the garage to shed.

The electrics in the garage are surface mounted in t&e, correctly sized but very untidy, bit like spaghetti junction. These feed 3 double switched sockets (metal) and 3 florescent lights that are wired from an ancient 4 way fused cu. What I want to do is to move the sockets to a more user friendly area, remove redundant runs, place the cable in trunking and replace the cu with a wylex 2 way rcd garage unit from screwfix.

I will not be putting in virgin runs just reworking what is already there and upgrading components, there is ample existing loose cable so I don't need to purchase new cable which means no mixed colours

My question is this, is this reportable under the part P regs?

Bazza

Reply to
Bazza

Consider doing the work and keeping your mouth tightly sealed.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Mum's the word,I will go ahead anyhow but want to make everything safe, just not sure if I will need to rip out back to basics if I sell up

Reply to
Bazza

Ignore Part P but obey the 11th commandment - "Be thou not found out!"

When you sell up, simply claim that the electrical installation pre-dates Part P. It will be virtually impossible for anyone to prove otherwise. Even if any of the kit is date stamped more recently, it could simply be as a result of replacing like with like - which AIUI, is not notifiable.

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 18:51:04 +0100, "Roger Mills" mused:

Reply to
Lurch

Even so, like-for-like replacement isn't notifiable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, we know! What difference does that make?

Reply to
Roger Mills

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 22:03:03 +0100, "Roger Mills" mused:

Nothing, I seem to have this thread confused with another one, although my reply wouldn't have really fitted in that one either.

Note to self, try not to post after you've had a heavy night.

Reply to
Lurch

You'd think there would be a thriving market in old black/red mains cable for just this reason.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

There is. Search on ebay for "old colours".

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

The difference is that it is in a garage, and therefore notifiable. I think the reason is that garages are outside the earthed equipotential zone.

tom.harrigan

hardly "thriving". Four items.

Reply to
Huge

Can you please quote chapter and verse to support that assertion?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I got 20 (35 if searching title and description). Definitions of thriving may vary, but that's hardy moribund.

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

But that's only the number of sellers. You don't know how many people are watching those items :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

No I can't, because I was wrong! Part P confusion must be getting to me...

tom.harrigan

Steady man! This is Usenet - one can't go around being reasonable and admitting to being wrong! The proper form is to turn this into a 200 post thread which finally dies when other posters tire of one's increasingly convoluted and falsely syllogistic arguments as to why one was correct all along.

Oh, and one has to reverse position an even number of times ;-)

-- Rob

Reply to
Rob Hamadi

If there are always about 4 such items listed it means a new one must be listed every couple of days.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Laws

Na. If anyone asks, you don't know.

Reply to
John Rumm

Part of the confusion may arise from the fact that running power to a detached garage would be notifiable, even if work once power is inside it is not.

Reply to
John Rumm