Garage door sticks in damp weather

I have a pair of wooden, side-opening garage doors, like these but rather bigger:

(or

During the damp winter months they stick over the bottom 25% or so, to the extent that when damp and open they overlap and it's an absolute bugger to close them again at all. When the weather is sunny and warm like last week, they open like a dream however, so I don't simply want to plane them down or I'll have a huge gap in the summer.

They are very badly painted (as in, very weathered) at the moment, and I'd like to know the best way of curing the problem. Is it the end grain of the door(s) which needs sealing with something? Very awkward indeed to get at, and would really rather not have to try demounting the huge doors and rusty hinges; but is that's what is needed? Idly wondering about making a polythene flap aroud the base of the door in situ, and filling it with some suitable liquid that would soak up into the grain - good idea? If so, what to use?

Reply to
Lobster

I had some doors like this. I think I tried everything, but in the end it was all pointless as the damp still swelled enough of the wood to cause issues. Its not there any more as it was deroofed in 87 and condemned.

Twas one of those garden shed for lawn mowers etc with double wide doors. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Bedford_Side_Hinged_Stee

First thing would be to make sure the rest of the door including top and sides was painted properly.

From the description it may not be the bottom of the door which is the only problem.

Presumably any water repellent but breathable oil/stain/whatever soaked into the base would help to reduce water uptake.

Is the entrance below where the door sits when closed trapping water? A few grooves to help drain water away may help, as if the gap below is too "snug" it may wick and retain water; effectively standing the bottom of the door in a water bath to soak.

Gaps around doors are acceptable - that is what the extra bits of wood across the top, down the middle and across the bottom are for - to allow a gap but conceal it. Also to keep water away from the door.

I have a similar problem with a couple of pairs of cheap and nasty shed doors which one day I will get round to fixing......

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David