Garage door spares - ridiculous prices in the UK - any way round this?

One of the wireless keypads for my (several) garage door openers has failed. These are Chamberlain (now Liftmaster I think) garage doors originally bought from Screwfix.

Replacement keypads cost a ridiculous amount in the UK, typically around £90, for example here is an exact replacement for mine:-

identical keypads (identical except for the operating frequency) cost only $25 - $30 in the USA. I've tried hard but I really can't find anyone offering them at reasonable prices in the UK. One web site I contacted was a 'trade' supplier where I had filled in details of my Ltd. company to ask for a price. They had actually gone to the time and trouble of looking up my company registration etc. to see if I was a business dealing in Garage Doors and as I didn't appear to be they wouldn't supply me.

This all smacks to me of restrictive practices and/or price fixing, is it worth reporting to trading standards?

Regardless of the above has anyone got any suggestions for a keypad to operate a garage door that won't cost an arm and a leg? It doesn't actually have to be wireless as the keypad is on the outside of the garage, all it needs to do is provide a momentary closure on entering the correct code. I have found one offered by an Ebay supplier which costs £40 which is not *too* unreasonable but still seems a little expensive.

I'm quite happy to DIY it a bit, e.g. buy some components and a box, as I was an elextronics engineer once upon a time and can still solder OK and build electronicky things.

Reply to
tinnews

> Near identical keypads (identical except for the operating frequency)

Although I've not actually tried how about trying to modify a wireless doorbell e.g the friedland evo

it shouldn't be too difficult to change the 'ding dong' into a pulse using a small relay - at less than £20 worth a try.

I have modded the bell push so that it works with a door entry system in a block of flats - customer very pleased mobile bell at a third of the price that the entry system supplier wanted!

Alternatively what about those radio controlled appliance switches that B&Q sell for about £20!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

I need a keypad with code entry, otherwise *anyone* can walk up and open the door. I have remotes to keep in the car etc. which open the door and they still work. What I'm after is a numeric code entry that lives outside the garage so one can get in without having a remote.

All the same issue I suspect, no key code required.

Reply to
tinnews

Rapid Electronics

part number 13-0508 =A312.44+VAT

If you search "keypad" they also do a range of vandal/waterproof keypads that could possibly be substituted for the one in the kit.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Or the traditional version:

John Rumm

Sorry misunderstood keypad for keyfob!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

So *everyone* in the family has to have a key, it's also rather difficult to use when the door has an electric opener. Apart from that an excellent idea!

Reply to
tinnews

Ah, thank you, I had hunted around at Rapid already but didn't find that (although I had found the waterproof keypads).

Reply to
tinnews

I thought you said they had remote keyfobs? So its only the occasional use in person so to speak...

You will note I linked to a key switch rather than a lock. Hence you could use it to trigger the electric opener without the joe public access of the straight push switch.

Well its ok if you are being a cheapskate ;-) Failing that spend the £15 on the electronic kit and a box.

Reply to
John Rumm

> Near identical keypads (identical except for the operating frequency)

It seems to me like a business oppourtunity :-)

If I knew the first thing about electronics I'd be on the case.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman