Garage door electric lifter

I think I'm a bit like you. The slightest twinge and I start fearing the worst. (I'm not the world's best patient...)

Possibly because in Nottingham City Hospital there was a guy much younger than me on the cardiac ward and he was already several days out of intensive care and on the high dependency ward when the docs discovered "leakage" and he had to be rushed to theatre in the middle of the night to have the sternum opened up again, poor sod. It was really the full works -- crash team, docs and nurses rushing down the corridors etc.

But several days later he was then brought to the normal cardiac ward and looked bloody awful. However, the very next day he had improved

5000 per cent and even got up and walked to the loo (with help from a nurse). It's just amazing how the body fights these things. I stayed in hospital a total of 9 days.

MM

Reply to
MM

In message , MM writes

First of all may I wish you a speedy recovery.

Under the "Any comments welcome" rather than answering your actual question I wonder if you have considered replacing the door completely?

2 years ago my up and over required fixing for the 2nd time in 15 years, cable snapped and plastic cone damaged. I looked at roller doors and had one of these fitted for something less than £2,000.00 Two guys 1/2 a day to fit. Not only do I hope for many years of maintenance free operation, but also it has given me more space in the garage to hang junk, sorry, useful items, from the rafters as it doesn't intrude very far into the garage. It has also provided a very good draft free seal, unlike it's predecessor, so the garage, which is used as a workshop is a lot warmer in winter.
Reply to
Bill

On Monday 25 March 2013 06:43 MM wrote in uk.d-i-y:

As my GP said, surgeons are often very "technical". Mine had an excellent repuation and was very pleasant. But the initial appointment was very much "yes, it's a hernia, I can fix it, when do you want to do it?" and that was that.

He did answer specific questions quite openly - because I went prepared. I wanted to know what the chances of buggering up a nerve were, or other complications.

As it happens, I seem to have escaped the phantom-ache and localised numbness that are not totally uncommon. More qudos to the surgeon's skills[1].

However, I would have done well to read some forums - if I had had a broad knowledge of recovery patterns I would have worried less. Recovery seems to vary hugely between, for example, some very fit bloke who was pushing light weights in the gym 2 weeks later to people complaining of severe aches a year later.

As it happens I did watch a similar op on youtube - and despite the surgeon being a bit "you don't want to do that" - it helped. Knowing there were these little titanium helical tacks screwed into my muscles helped explain away the little twinges.

[1] I found out something else about his technique which seemed to credit him with being ahead of the game. He mentioned that he goes in with scalpal on the first keyhole entry. I did not realise until later, and after some forum reading, that some surgeons just bang a bladed trocar in blind - and that there have been a *lot* of problems with them hitting blood vessels and other things doing this.

This chap goes in manually, then follows with a blunt trocar (tube basically) with the camera and the inflation gas. Then he can see what he's doing and the gas keeps the 2nd and 3rd entry points clear of organs so a bladed trocar is safe. This seems to be current best practise.

I do realise that some people are better off not knowing this stuff - but there is a wealth of information on the internet - and even if it's wrong at least it helps you to ask pertinent questions.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Tim Watts writes

I had a cataract op and researched it on the internet, including watching a video on Youtube. It was interesting to see how they cut the eye open and took bits out and replaced them. Although a bit worrying, it was great to know just what they were up to when I had it done. It certainly saved me asking daft questions of the medics and enabled me to ask a few, possibly, sensible ones.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks, Bill, for the kind words. Much appreciated. I have had one of those "off" days today, probably because of the atrocious weather, which is SO depressing. Oh, well, onwards and upwards!

MM

Reply to
MM