Garage Damp proof membrane

I intend to lay a DPM under the floor of the garage I am about to build.

If the final level of the floor is lower than the DPC how do I tie them together, as raising the DPM above the floor level will leave it exposed as I will not use any form of skirting or drywall to cover it up in a garage.

Is is actuall necessary yo tie the DPM with the DPC?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

Are you laying the floor first? - that is to say, are you laying one big slab and building up off it or are you putting the walls in and then dropping the floor in afterwards?

If you are building up of the slab, then it doesn't matter about connecting DPM and DPC because the wall is already on top of the DPM (which will be underneath the concrete)....if you are building strip footings and doing the floor later, it's best if you overlap the two, the easiest way is to use 9 inch DPC in the brickwork and leave 4 inches flapping on the inside, then when you put down the DPM for the floor, tuck it behind the DPC flap...yes some of it will be visible, but without it damp bricks/blocks will be visible below the DPC. Normally, floors are left about an inch or an inch and half down from the DPC, if you are leaving it any lower than this then it may be noticable, but if you don't want anything showing, you can always slice it off afterwards with a stanley knife, but I doubt that you'll bother...if you intend painting the floor, just lap onto the plastic and it will blend in with the floor nicely.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

thanks Phil