Garage Conversion

Hi

Due to wife expecting our second child next year I am looking to convert part of my detached garage into an office, it is brick built with a flat roof and concrete floor a window will also be added. I intend to insulate all walls by using a timber frame and then putting plasterboard over it, i will also be insulating the dividing stud wall along with ceiling and floor.

The new room size will be 3m x 3.3m and i think i will need approximately

48m sq of insulation,. What type do you think i should use?

Is it ok to use Chipboard for the flooring?, this will be on a timber frame on top of a DPM. I would also like to line the walls with chipboard over a DPM to give even betting insulation before creating a timber frame, is this a good idea?

Thank you in advance for your comment & opinions.

Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom

Fibreglass or rockwool, both fire retardant and both work very well, along with them being as cheap as chips, although you can expect a volley of suggestions to use celotex or other types but they will be 3 times the price of fibreglass and there's little *real* difference in heat retention, despite the claims.

not really, no....you will gain almost nothing by doing this, but if you dot & dabbed plasterboard onto the bare walls prior to building the studding, you would gain substansially more

Reply to
Phil L

Sounds reasonable - but don't forget to check on building regs. Being a detached garage, it was probably exempt - but won't be when part of it is living accommodation. If the other part is still a garage - or even if it may only be used for storing flammable materials - you'll need suitable fire protection between the garage and office parts.

I'm not sure whether you'll also need planning permission for change of use. It may be as well to check.

Reply to
Roger Mills

if its for habitation, you'll want insulation in your new wall cavity and also under the floor.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I would use Kingspan K17 boards. This has the advantage of not requiring the wooden frame to be built and you don't need plasterboard, either.

Yes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle