Gap under skirting boards for carpet?

I'm about to replace some laminate flooring with carpet and tiles. The laminate goes under the skirting but I'd prefer not to have to remove and replace all the skirting. It's a concrete floor and the laminate is only about 6mm - what's the opinion of the jury? Will I get-away with the carpet sliding into the gap or do I need to bite the bullet and pull the skirting, repair the walls and re-fit some new skirting?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

You could glue the carpet down and just poke it under the skrting if the gap's ok, but I'd check the resulting gap wont be excessive first.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

With underlay and carpet I would expect you will be able to lose 6mm without any difficulty. Plenty of older places have that sort of gap under the skirtings anyway!

Reply to
John Rumm

Draughts often emanate from the gap beneath the skirting board. In time, dust carried by the draught causes an unsightly black band around the edge of the carpet. I have always blocked up such gaps with carefully folded newspaper, packed in tight.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

It's a solid floor, so if there any drafts I've got worse problems to deal with than a little gap ;-)

Reply to
NoSpam

If grippers are used it will only be the thickness of the carpet left to take up the gap.

mark

Reply to
mark

The gripper rod itself is 6mm thick... If you follow normal carpet fitting MO and cut the edge slightly long, then tuck it down the back of the gripper with a stair tool, you won't see the gap.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all. I just pulled-up some of the laminate and tried a sample of carpet - I think it will be OK so will plan to leave the skirting.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

It's taken a while for me to think - 'do you have to remove the laminate?' If yopu lay on top of the laminate there is no problem

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

It's in the entrance area so fairly "high traffic"; I want to use decent underlay/carpet and I can't imagine it will sit well over laminate.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

The carpet gripper strip will cover most of that gap on its own. Our new carpet even filled a large gap under the door (presumably a relic from before the bare boards fashion).

Spamlet

Tiling and carpeting was no problem with the gap - thanks to those who helped to convince me not to double the job by having to replace the skirting.

Reply to
NoSpam