gap under doors for new carpet

Hi

I'm having a new carpet fitted in a bedroom, unfortunately I have 3 hinged wardrobe doors and 1 main door in the room and wondered what clearance there should be between the bottom of the door and the carpet. Is it basically the thickness of the underlay & carpet together?

Thanks

Reply to
alec green

Yes, plus about 3mm so that the undersides of the doors doesn't actually rub on the carpet.

In your situation, I would take *all* the doors off while the carpet is being fitted - and then decide how much to take off each one before putting them back.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Not very much, 3mm sounds rather too much for my likeing plenty of scope for a howling gale through that sized gap.

That'll be about an inch with decent carpet and underlay. Do you really want an inch between the bottom of the door and carpet?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Might save on a catflap/mouseflap.

Reply to
brass monkey

I usually cut the bottom of the door so that it just 'brushes' the top of the carpet pile as it opens.

Note: The cutting of the door should be done after the carpet is laid and an accurate working line is established. Don't try and guess the measurement and cut the door beforehand - it WILL be wrong for a certainty.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Rising butt hinges are a good help.

Reply to
harry

Yes as if they are using grip strips and depending on the type you don't want to get any of the spikes grunging the door bottoms! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd expect some form of threshold strip across doorways rather than the gripper. And even the top of the spikes on gripper is barely above the thickness of the underlay.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Maybe a bit less on the room door - but no problem with cupboards/wardrobes, and provides them with a bit of ventilation.

Sounds like a bit of deliberate misinterpretation. Granted that's what he wrote, but he clearly *meant* the clearance between the *floor* and the door to allow for the carpet and underlay.

Reply to
Roger Mills

True - but the door still has to open over the carpet, and this may require a bigger gap - particularly if the floor slopes up a bit from the doorway.

Reply to
Roger Mills

In that case I'd definately fit rising butt hinges...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The inch will be filled with underlay and carpet

Reply to
Phil L

Read what was written, not what you think was written. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice