gap fill

What is the best waterproof/pee-proof sealant to fill a gap between a skirting board and a vinyl floor covering in a bathroom? The gap is approx 8mm and I intend to pack it with a polyester rope first to minimise the amount of sealant required.

Reply to
alan_m

Fixing foam. Cheapest place I found, Screwfix.

Reply to
harry

Depends on what 'best' means to you.

Obviously white silicone is the best mechanically and water seal wise, but its unpaintable and prone to mould.

Personally, except where its hidden, I have moved to acrylic decorators caulk, which can be painted along with e.g. the wood.

It is virtually the same thing as acrylic wood primer. Just thicker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Silicone. Acrylic is likely to fail in wet locations - you could gamble on it if you want, it seems many do.

Expanding foam is not a finish one could recommend.

Rope is too squashy as a backing for filler, try pebbles or tile offcuts.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Acrylic *may* soften if permanently wet. Silicone *WILL* go mouldy if permanently wet.

Take your choice.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mapei, about whom I know little except that they make very nice flexible tile cement which is expensive enough to be long lasting, say that it is best to have a flexible backing for silicone sealant between two rigid surfaces, as giving it somewhere to expand reduces the chance of it working loose from the surfaces it is sealing. I put this forward as a contribution to debate, rather than something I necessarily believe.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

How about using a corner moulding strip stuck to the floor but not necessarily to the wooden skirting board, hiding the gap?

Reply to
Dave W

A little bleach solves mould.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If you can bend down and scrub it into any crannies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No scrubbing is involved.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

For 8mm I'd glue fresh wood to the bottom of the skirting board. You can buy such strip in the sheds. Then seal from that to the floor if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

caulk versus silicone bought up a few good tips on YT :-

Bertie Doe

All this discussion about filling a big gap with uncertain or un-paintable results, I'd just whip the skirting off (all round if needs be) and either re-fix or re-profile the bottom edge if the floor is that far out and re-fix with a more sensible clearance.

If you trash the old skirting taking it off get some new stuff. If the walls are tiled to the top of the existing skirting get some taller skirting and trim/plane it down.

End result will be much better looking and performing in my mind.

YMMV

CHeers - Pete

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk