Gainsborough 9.5kw SDL Electric shower

The in laws broke the shower head so fitted a Tesco special and it worked for short period before blowing a leak, think this was the PRD, do they normally shoot a ball out..if so cant find it.

Does anyone know if you can get these spares at the likes of B and Q, and do you just get a ball to put in or need the whole pipe so to speak.

Guessing this cause by the head not being the actual identical repplacement product or would it have happened anyway.

Is a 30a breaker ok for a shower like this, dont think it is?

Any info appreciated

Reply to
Gogs

Hello Gogs,

It may just be my ignorance, but I can't understand what you're on about, would you care to clarify, errrr, everything. I can't work out whether you're replacing the shower, the shower head, some mysterious "ball", a PRD (what the hell's that??) or the MCB "breaker"!

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Hi Martin,

Well I went to replace the shower head with a Tescos special...bad move.

So aim is to keep the shower and get the proper like for like replacement head and whilst isolating the shower today I noticed the breaker seemed to be 30a, I'm thinking is that correct, not long been in the house and I'm no DIY expert far from it but the place is a disaster zone with poor shoddy workmanship so on the breaker front wondered if this was correct or not really safe.

Right the 'ball'...silicone ball I'm told is what shoots out the PRD - Pressure relief device. Anyway wondered if anyone had much experiece of these within the gainsborough range as they all seem to be similar..

When this one blew, said ball cannot be found, so did it vanish down the hole or can they blow elsewhere.

Done a search and some folk seem to poke them back in if possible but apparently likely to go again.

PRD/Outlet Pipe is the spare part that seems to be available but its not so good to take on/off, well not on this shower, easy if it was completely off the wall

Reply to
Gogs

See

"The Pressure Relief Device has blown. This safety device, just above the hose connection, prevents the unit from bursting in a situation of too much pressure in the heater. Please ensure that only the hose and handset supplied with the unit are used and that they are free from scale. NO OTHER HOSE OR HANDSET ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE UNIT. The red outlet cover cap must be removed during installation before the water supply is connected or a similar result will occur. A new PRD can be purchased from Gainsborough Customer Services. "

and parts at

the "breaker" suggest you check
and also note the cable size.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

"The Pressure Relief Device has blown. This safety device, just above the

I have described the rest procedure before (google ) and you'll likely find the PRD ball reatained but displaced in its housing.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

check

also note

Handy link. Just to clarify, what's crucial with the MCB is the size of the cable. It would be dangerous to change the breaker to a 45 amp one if the cable isn't up to carrying 45amps (which would usually need

10mm cable).

Here's a handy table I pinched from a post sometime ago to help you work out what cable you've got (sorry, can never remember who originally posted it). Layout is not too good, but 10mm cable should have external dimensions of around 8.4mm x 16.8mm

You can usually tell by measuring the outside dimentions of the cable: Cable CSAs Vs Physical Dimensions: CSA (CPC) Strands Overall mm^2 No./dia. mm approx.

--------- ------- ----------

1.0 (1.0) 1/1.13 4.5 x 8.2 1.5 (1.0) 1/1.38 4.7 x 8.2 2.5 (1.5) 1/1.78* 5.3 x 9.9 4.0 (1.5) 7/0.85 6.1 x 11.4 6.0 (2.5) 7/1.04 6.8 x 13.1 10 (4.0) 7/1.35 8.4 x 16.8 16 (6.0) 7/1.71 9.6 x 19.5
  • or 7/0.67
Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Slightly posher version of that table is now on the wiki:

John Rumm

Hi Ed, I done a google for all sorts and never came up with this procedure.

Would you recommend removing the PRD at the moment to see if can find the ball and try to make good for time being until new part arrives...

Thanks for everyones help.

Reply to
Gogs

Update, outlet pipe/PRD popped through the door! Wow that was a speedy service, ordered yesterday about 1pm and we are way up North..

Not the easiest to remove and replace due to the rear screw being an nightmare to turn, front one which is easily accesible turns simlple, not sure why rear one so hard, even when putting the new one on with new screws again the rear one was an absolute pain and sturggled to get it tightened up properly..but done now.

Just to help others are far as this Gainborough PRD goes, going on the size of the ball if the PRD activates then its pretty much going to shoot out completely as there is no room for it to still be in the housing...this was case with mine so it must have went down the plug hole..

Reply to
Gogs