Gaffer / Duct / Electrical tape

IME this sort of tape varies lots in how sticky it is. The not-very-sticky type is no use for me eg Jewsons own brand so I'm looking at the Screwfix catalogue

Has anyone used 14470 unbranded?

There are three types of Duck tape. IME this is a good brand of properly sticky tape but which one to choose?

24428 Duck cloth tape 84740 Duck power tape

Hey wow I must think up a use for 58451 fluorescent orange

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Hmmm. I use duct tape to hold the numbers on the side of my race car;

for round the outside and white to join the numbers together. The first lot I bought from Screwfix was excellent, sticky and easy to peel off at the end of the day.

The second lot was absolute junk. The backing fabric is weaker than the adhesive and it's an absolute pig to get off. It's also not very strong (not an issue in my application), so it tears all the time while you're trying to remove it, leaving little shreds all over the place, which I have to get off with solvent.

I won't be buying any more of the unbranded. Duck tape it is.

Can't help there, sorry, except the latter says it's waterproof. The SF own brand certainly isn't (as I found when trying to patch my inflatable swimming pool this summer.)

Reply to
Huge

Daughter uses 12334 (think that's SF own brand?) to hold various bits on her sailing dinghy and they seem to stay put OK, as you can see (she's on the far left ;-) :

Lobster

Would you not be better off with carpet tape (double sided fibre reinforced)? That's what I've used to stick things to the side of cars before.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I use TLC Gaffa tape for most jobs - very sticky.

Reply to
Osprey

If you're using it to wrap around something like to insulate wires then self-amalgamating tape is the best. (but it's absolutely no use for sticking flat on a surface). AL

Reply to
Al M

never forget the visceral joy of racing.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Reply to
Huge

Probably not. I want to cover the edges of the (laminated) numbers & MSA rules say the numbers should have a black border, which the tape conveniently provides.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I hate to tell you, but your daughter looks like a buoy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!! Brilliant - wish I'd thought of that!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

*applause* Me too!

(Dunno why I didn't see Steve's post.)

Reply to
Huge

Thank you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster saying something like:

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Steve Firth saying something like:

On a related note, does anybody else get irritated by the Hollywood habit of pronouncing the 'u' in buoy? Actully, the 'o' gets dropped and it comes out like 'buey', like Buick without the end.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

boo-ey.

It's a regional thing - some parts of the US do it, others don't.

Reply to
Huge

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Huge saying something like:

I think it's voice and dialogue coaches responsible for it. I first heard it on some ancient episode of Star Trek when a 'space booyehih' was mentioned. 'What the f*ck is that?' I asked, thinking it referred to some region where the boojums hung out. Mind you, it's provided some entertainment since, when each actor tries to pronounce it the way they've been told to.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon