FYI Makita Offer

FYI Just got an e-mail from Screwfix with this offer;

** MAKITA 18V COMBI DRILL ***

Was GBP 179.00* Now Only GBP 99.00 Save GBP 80.00

Key Features

- 2 Speed Variable & Reverse

- 16 Torque Settings

- 13mm Keyless Chuck

Includes 3 Batteries Worth GBP 59.99 Each, 1 hour Charger and Carry Case

Excellent deal if you are in the market.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

B*st*rds. (Them, not you!) I just bought a Hitachi one for much the same money.

Reply to
Huge

The Medway Handyman explained :

In the specification panel lower down the page, it says 2 batteries.

Harry Bloomfield

Also note they are the 1.3Ah NiCd not the 3.0Ah NiMH version

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'm wondering how big a downer is that likely to be? (I appreciate the difference between NiMH and NiCd, and the lower capacity, but just how bad are 1.3Ah NiCds?). Is this why it's such an apparently good deal?

I've been promising myself a Makita combi drill for ages and this might finally be it...! Any other feedback by anyone on this model/offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

With three of them it wouldn't be a particular issue other than needing to swap them through the charger a bit more.

Reply to
Andy Hall

FWIW I've contacted Screwfix, and it's definitely 3 batteries.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I have 3 12v x 1.3ah batteries for my drill driver & impact driver & 2 batteries for my 14.4v combi. The charger will fully charge a 12v in 30 mins or a 14.4v in 40 mins, so not really a problem as you say.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hi,

Anyone know what torque it's rated at?

Not much good if it's the same as my Argos =A320 special... ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Also how much guarantee?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Quoted as 42 nm on the Makita site - don't think anyone would be dissapointed with that sort of power.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mines supposed to go up to 60nm, somehow I think there's some exaggeration there!!!

Wickes do a nice cordless for a bit more, but it comes with an extra angled chuck:

May well be swiss made too.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

I have a Wickes 14:4v combi which has given sterling service, very powerful but much heavier than the Makita. I also have a Wickes SDS which is an absolutely excellent piece of kit, so I have a lot of faith in them, been well used & stod up to some abuse - made by Kress AIUI.

Difficult choice; Makita with 3 x 1.3ah batts, Wickes with 2 x 2ah batts. I'm a big Makita fan (router, circ saw, jigsaw, impact driver, drill driver, combi driver) and it's a big brand name, but the Wickes has a 3 year warranty.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Just had a thought, the Makita charger is 30 mins approx for 12v & 14.4v, wereas the Wickes is 1 hour.

Suppose the deciding factor is spares & repairs, Makita have a very good s&r support.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

42 nanometers? isn't a bit ... small?

:o)