Future planning: Propane alternative to oil

Seems to be an apt description of my cooking! Never mind, the food tastes fine.

So do I.

I don't need to prove anything because no proof is needed. Like I said, cooks professional and otherwise mostly prefer gas hobs, end of.

MM

Reply to
MM

Gas is much cheaper than electricity. Gas hobs are cheaper than induction ones. Gas hobs are more robust that induction. All factors that are important to a business but less so in the home.

We have a solid plate electric hob and I *DETEST THE F'CKING THING*. The thermal inertia is so high that you either wait 20 minutes for nothing to happen or you end up with a layer of carbon in the bottom of the pan. If you try and double guess what setting to change to from the current activity in a pan the chances are you'll get it wrong because you don't know if you are looking at a high or low point in the temperature cycle. On it's lowest settings on the smallest ring it will burn a sauce that is thick enough not to convect in 5 to 10 mins.

You don't get these problems with gas and I'd love to play with an induction hob to see if one will pass the "milk test" and not suffer any of the above mentioned problems, particularly the temperature cycling and associated effects.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Good man. Our last house had one which lasted until we could get gas plumbed in, and my feelings were exactly the same as yours.

I'd like to play with an induction hob before buying one, though.

Reply to
Huge

The only thermal inertia in the system is the pan and its contents. Turn the ring off and whatever's about to boil over stops.

And, just remembered, power cycling is interesting. On mine power settings 5-9 were completely linear (like a light dimmer) whereas only

1-4 were mark-space ratio controlled (like standard hob/microwave.)

Remembered a couple of (pseudo) downsides:

  • It had self controlling diversity to prevent overloading - turn all hobs on quite high and it'd modulate the power to each ring.

  • As they're so fast to heat up, it was easy to look away and have something boil over!

Reply to
Scott M

Thats about the lifetime my wife gets out of them: a week.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

elfin safety as well,.

Plus speed.

gas is self sterilising, and fast warmup times.

Many professional chefs use agas at home.

Professional F1 drivers don't drive those cars on the public roads either..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Scott M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

ITYF that the biggest difference - and the real reason why pros always use gas - is the instant variability of heat. None of the alternatives are anything like as flexible.

But they are. I'd _far_ rather use a well-seasoned cast iron skillet than a teflon frying pan, or a good solid stainless saucepan than a teflon one. Teflon is used as a get-out-of-jail card on cheap pans that would otherwise burn easily because they're so thin and flimsy they get hotspots.

Reply to
Adrian

sold electric hobs are the worst of all possible worlds.

An always n aga hob is far far fsater..and with two to play with and to wepennies to make a simmer hob, they weork well enough.

I haver used gas and radiant and ring element electrics. OK, radiant electric is slower than gas, so you need to think ahead, but otherwise there isn't much difference until you want to use a wok. They are almost useless as they need hot gases up the sides: gas only really.

You also need better pans for electric with solid copper or alloy slugs in the base. Lighweight pans are useless.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Took us about 6 months of having one to ditch it and replace with bottled gas. What's stopping you doing the same?

Reply to
Clive George

According to the radio, that's up shit creek at the moment too. Stockists are only getting partial deliveries at the moment, due to lack of empty bottles to be refilled, which people haven't been able to return in this weather. (Not sure I believe the reason given.) People who have their own garden tanks (LPG?) also having problems getting them refilled and price has rocketed.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel