Fused spur (or not) for an external flood light?

According to the so-called instructions I'm using to install a new 500

floodlight, it makes no mention of using a fused spur in the wirin schematic, but just simple indicates a 'switch`. So am I correct i thinking it is saying a standard 10A wall switch will be good enough even though from past experience I would have stuck it on a switche fused spur.

Or could I have a non-switched fused connection plate hidden out of th way above a cupboard (if so what fuse rating) and simply have a nice 10 single rocker switch to essentially switch it at a convenient place (switched fused spurs do not look the neatest of animals!

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

I would do as you suggest in your second paragraph. I fit securit lights all the time in my job as an alarm engineer and always fi either a switched spur or an unswitched spur with a separate ligh switch to override the light, as they have PIR sensors with them. Als you don't mention where you are getting the supply from, light's o ring circuit. Either way fit a fused spur with a 3 amp fuse and mak sure it's earthed

-- Alec

Reply to
Alec

Where are you taking the power from? If it is from an existing lighting circuit that has enough spare capcity then there is no need for any form of separate fusing. If you are feeding it from a circuit powering sockets for example, then use a 3A fuse in the FCU (does not need to be switched). A standard light switch will be more than capable of handling the (~2A) load.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ouch -- generally much to bright for an outside light. Make sure no light goes up above horizontal, nor spills into a neighbour's grounds without checking with them that it's OK. Should be fitted at least 20' high, and angled downwards.

Depends on where you are getting the supply from.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

?

The switched fused spur I installed for exterior lighting came in a package no larger than the non fused switch, or the non-switched but fused box so I don't understand the above.

Reply to
Alan

I was thinking along the lines of looking smarter/neater to have plain light switch possibly in chrome as opposed to a thicker switche FSU with the fuse holder expose

-- Cordless Crazy

Reply to
Cordless Crazy