Fuse wire sizes

Useful table for selecting fuse wire sizes...

Andrew Gabriel

Bugrit you owe me a monitor!

Reply to
Nick

Ha! (forwarding to friends & family)

Reply to
Adam Funk

Excellent!

Reply to
newshound

Am 11.11.2014 um 18:22 schrieb Andrew Gabriel:

Nice. What cartridge is this? .308 or something smaller?

Reply to
Matthias Czech

The 2000a slow blow isn't slow. Just ask anyone that has dropped one on the 48V exchange bus bars near the batteries.

Reply to
dennis

Which is probably why the GEC Installation Manager used a length of solder as the suite fuse when a strowger exchange was being extended in the mid 60's! He wasn't prepared to install the cartridge fuses, as they were too expensive, until he handed the extension over to the Post Office (as we were then) staff.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Oh I don't know, I had time to kick one clear as it was beginning to glow on a 12 volt system.

Reply to
newshound

They had copper bus bars about 50x15 mm just to carry the normal current. The batteries were in the thousands of amp hours. You would lose your leg if you were close enough to kick it.

Reply to
dennis

Not at 48v, you could quite happily hold both poles without even a tingle, but don't bridge them with a metal watch strap. Ringing voltage at 75v just tingled, but did make you jump if unexpected (ah the joys of being an apprentice!).

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

The GEC Installation Manager dwelt in the Coventry Telephone works and rare ly ventured onto sites. The guys running the sites were called Installers o r on Sundays sometimes they got the title Installation Engineers. Most of t he staff studiously avoided work near their home town as that meant losing the tax free lodging allowance. ;)

Reply to
johnjessop46

Ringing voltage used to play havoc with the carbon filament bulbs in the gp o test lamps. Also the standard test lamp had an exposed grip section on th e metal probe which put your fingers in direct contact and you got the litt le men up your arm when ringing was encountered.

Reply to
johnjessop46